IE in WP8.1 broken: Appears to make GET in form instead of POST

General discussion

• Installed the 8.1 update yesterday, and IE immediately broke form submissions on a number of sites I frequent. As best I can tell, it's making a GET instead of a POST to forms that have no elements beyond the actual submit button.

MVC apps in particular react in an expected way: They return a 404 on action methods that have [HttpPost] on them.

To reproduce:

• Go to and create an account.
    • On the page, after you've signed up and are logged in, click the button "Mark All Forums Read." This is a form with no other elements that does a POST to /Forums/Forum/MarkAllForumsRead
    • The server returns a 404 for the post URL, because it made a GET instead of a POST.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:53 PM

All replies

• Confirmed: Here's a simpler test page:
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:07 PM
  • Thanks for the report! We’ve got this tracked and will investigate.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:10 PM
  • Awesome, thanks for cranking that thing out. I was on vacation and couldn't drum up something more definitive.

Am I correct that the version of WP 8.1 available via the preview isn't "final?" I hope so, because this is pretty fundamental breakage of the web.

Monday, April 21, 2014 12:10 AM
  • This is starting to become really problematic. Please tell me this will be fixed without waiting six months.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:49 PM
  • Same bug is in the Desktop and Metro version of IE 11 on Win8.1.

But a little different, when submitting (POST) an empty form (see the example page above), IE just keeps loading forever. Unless you have the F12 developer tools open, then it submits correctly.

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 8:37 PM
  • @Michiel: Yes, the PC-browser variant of this problem has been reported to Microsoft.
    Thursday, May 08, 2014 4:09 PM
  • i would also like to know if this gets fixed with the public release of WP8.1

On a sidenote, the "Alert me" link on top of this discussion is doing nothing but ALERTING (as in JavaScript alert() ) "unexpected error".

I wanted to finally support IE on Windows Phone with 8.1 release but with bugs like this (and the pointer-events issue), i still can't justify all the extra work. Come on Microsoft. You're begging devs to not support IE :-(

Friday, May 09, 2014 8:24 AM
  • Thanks for the report Jeff!

We have a fix for this that will be released as part of a minor update on top of WP 8.1. New devices and 'official' updates (not developer previews) will pick up the latest so we expect most users to be unaffected by the issue.

Friday, May 09, 2014 10:12 PM
  • Are you saying then that the dev preview is not final code? What we have will not be propagated out to the general public?
    Monday, May 12, 2014 2:05 PM
  • This issue was fixed in the WindowsPhone update released today, May 14, 2014. WP OS Version 8.10.12382.878

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Yep, looks good here too. Whew! That's a relief.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:55 PM
  • Eric - you beat me to it! Fix is out today :)

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:17 PM
  • It was 'final' but also continuously being updated :)

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:20 PM
  • We are able to still recreate this with WinPhone 8.1 using

It turns out the target=_blank makes the form behaves strange and trigger a GET instead of POST.

In our case the solution was simply to remove the _blank, for our use-case the work around was acceptable, but it still seems like a bug to me.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 9:17 AM
  • Thanks for the report. It does look like a bug. Good news is that this no longer happens in Project Spartan (our new browser for Windows 10 which will be available for preview in the coming weeks) but I will notify the team responsible for WP8.1 maintenance.
    Monday, March 16, 2015 10:39 PM