Recently, I did a migration of our SP portal from 2007 > 2010 > 2013. In my test migration, I set up search in 2013, and all our existing search forms within the portal still worked. I followed the same steps for the production migration and set up search. I can perform a basic search within web sites and I get results. However, the existing search web parts all errored out. Someone removed those web parts, so I can't say exactly what the error was. Well, a user was not satisfied with a simple search box. Instead, he wants to be able to search with multiple criteria/filters. First of all, in 2013, which web part do I want to use? I would think it's the refinement web part, but when I add that, I get the "Sorry, something went wrong", and in the properties for the web part, I see "The selected refinement target is no longer valide. To enable this web part, open it for editing and select a valid refinement target.".
So, which web part do I use to create the same search experience we had in SharePoint 2007? How do I configure this in 2013 to deliver the same refinement tools my end users expect?
I have read many technet articles on search configuration. I have a search center set up (I found the how to's, but I don't know what all this means, cause it's a farm level setting and if I hosted multiple portals, I wouldn't necessarily want them all linked back to the same site???). My sources and crawl schedule (continuous) all look fine. Searches succeed, but I'm stuck on delivering advanced search functionality to end users and I'm still baffeled as to why it worked in the test trial, but not the production migration.
If they want to specify multiple fields prior to executing the query, then you can use the advanced search web part. The refinement panel only works after you have executed a query. It then allows you to filter the results.
Thanks for the reply. I found one of the old web parts, and it was the Advanced Search box webpart.
a) In 2013, if I add a web part to a page, I don't see the Advanced Search box web part (this is Enterprise).
b) On pages with the old web part, I get the, "Something went wrong".
"An error occurred curing the processing of /search/results.aspx. Code blocks are not allowed in this file."
Is this solved by editing the web config and adding:
<PageParserPath VirtualPath="/search/results.aspx" CompilationMode="Always" AllowServerSideScript="true" />
Ok, I'm getting closer. In the web part, you specify the location of the Search Center URL. I created it under http://server/sites/search/pages. In the web part, I specified /sites/search/pages/results.aspx. I get results, but results from all sites in the site collection. I'm looking to have this perform the search under the document library or subsite that I am in, and below.