Skype URI for Windows 8 mobile RRS feed

• Question

• Quick questions here folks.

I am trying to find a way to create a redirect from a website to connect to Skype when I am already logged into Skype in the background.

Does anyone know the URI that Skype seems to use here for Win Mobile 8 (using Nokia Lumia 920)

Friday, December 7, 2012 2:36 AM

All replies

• Usually OEM register URI in the system to run preloaded applications. By default, I don't think there is URI exists for Skype in Windows Phone 8, since Skype is not a part of OS. If Nokia has preloaded Skype to Lumia, they had to register URI in the system by them self. That means only they can answer your question. Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Regards.

Friday, December 7, 2012 5:27 AM
  • Each app must register its own URI schemes through its WMAppManifest.xml file.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Skype for Windows Phone 8 in its current version is registering any URI schemes (I just tested).

Normally, the Skype URI scheme would be "skype:[username|phonenumber][?action] where action is something like call, chat, etc.

I tried using the "skype:" URI scheme and it was not registered.

I have just tonight created a Wiki for collecting application URI schemes, so if you find out any or if you develop an app that registers a URI scheme, please update the page:

http://windowsphone-development.wikia.com/wiki/Known_URI_Schemes

-- George Roberts (sirtwist)

Friday, December 7, 2012 5:58 AM
  • George, you are right. 

The URI associations, are registered in WMAppManifest.xml. I mixed it up with the URI for installing preloaded applications from the dialer :( My bad.

I have just downloaded Skype from Microsoft marketplace http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/skype/c3f8e570-68b3-4d6a-bdbb-c0a3f4360a51 and checked its manifest file there is no URI association registered. (Extension section doesn't have any Protocol).

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Sudip Das1 Saturday, October 5, 2013 10:40 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sudip Das1 Saturday, October 5, 2013 10:40 AM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 6:34 AM
  • I have created a suggestion for this on the Skype for Windows phone ideas page here:

Register a Windows Phone URI Scheme

You can view the status and vote for it there.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:39 AM