The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

WP8.0 App Crashes on only Lumia 1520 with WP8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

since the release of WP8.1, I get a lot of emails that one of my app the crashing permanently on startup. I'm talking about my app called powernAPP, an alarm app with voice commands:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/powernapp/92740dff-b2e1-4813-b08b-c6429df03356

After some research, I could figure out that the error only occures on Nokia Lumia 1520 devices with WP8.1. I'v also tested it on a Lumia 920, 925 and 820 ... works perfectly. And also no error occures on any Emulator (I've tested every 8.0 and 8.1 emu). So I think there seems to be a bug, which only effects on a Lumia 1520 device.

These screenshots were created using a friends Lumia 1520:

TransitionFrame

At first I thought there is a problem with the TransitionFrame of the WP-toolkit. But after downgrading to the standard PhoneApplicationFrame, there is the same error:

PhoneApplicationFrame

I can only do slow progress in fixing this error or solve the problem, because I don't have my own 1520 device. The last thing my fried tested was upgrading the WP8.0 solution to a WP8.1 solution as target platform. But even this didn't solve the problem.

Is there another known issue like this one? Or does anyone have an idea?

Thank you and best regards,

Benny

Friday, April 18, 2014 9:53 AM

All replies

• I will try and repro the problem Benny

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Friday, April 18, 2014 12:53 PM
  • Nope, Can't repro.  You will have to have your friend debug this further for you unfortunately.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, April 18, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Thank you for your answer. Have you tested the app on a Lumia 1520? Would be interesting, because that could mean my guess is wrong.

I've implemented a bug-reporting in powernAPP. Every reported bug was sent by a Lumia 1520. I think it's no accident...

Ben

Friday, April 18, 2014 1:37 PM
  • I did!

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, April 18, 2014 1:40 PM
  • I got the Lumia 1520 from a friend and I was able to find the source of the problem:

MainPage.xaml : sys:SystemTray.IsVisible="true"

I found another thread where many other users have the same problem. But the only difference is that I have this problem only on some Lumia 1520 Devices with WP8.1.

So I can fix the problem by disabling the SystemTray, but I think there seems to be a bug in the inside of Windows Phone.

Looking forward to get an answer about that.

Benjamin

Saturday, April 26, 2014 6:48 PM
  • Can you create a simple project and instructions to repro the issue (place it on OneDrive)?

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:35 PM
  • I've sent you an email with the link. I really hope it helps fo find a solution for this problem.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 6:59 AM
  • I did not receive anything.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:47 PM
  • I sent it to you via your Blog's contact page.
    Monday, May 19, 2014 8:22 PM
  • Hello Benjamin,

I am getting a problem for my app aswell only for Nokia Lumia 1520.

Users with this devices cant launch the app. It crashes and show this message:

error – Application Unhandled Exception: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

Is is the same error that you got before fix it with SystemTray?
    At then end you just fixed it applying this System Tray workaround? Did you do it in all pages ?

Thank you.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:07 AM
  • I have absolutely the same problem that the APP crashes on Lumia 1520 and 930 while navigating back to the MainPage or starting the application.

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

Inside the 1080p 6 inch emulator the problem can be solved by hiding the system tray. But not on real phones. On a physical Lumia 1520 the problem only can be solved if the user set the device language and region to en-US. The app crashes if de-DE is used.

Need help to solve this problem.

My app runs great on other devices. I think it has something to do with greater screens or higher screen resolutions...

Sunday, September 21, 2014 2:10 PM
  • What happens if you leave the definition of the SysTray visibility completely out of the XAML and e.g. do that in the OnNavigatedTo/From events in code behind?
    Monday, September 22, 2014 8:19 AM
  • Hello Benjamin,

I am getting a problem for my app aswell only for Nokia Lumia 1520.

Users with this devices cant launch the app. It crashes and show this message:

error – Application Unhandled Exception: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

Is is the same error that you got before fix it with SystemTray?
    At then end you just fixed it applying this System Tray workaround? Did you do it in all pages ?

Thank you.

Sorry for my late answer, I didn't knew there is still some activity here...

Yeas, since I had this issue, I have removed the System-Tray in all of my apps. But generally this is not a real solution for this problem, because in some apps it would be good that the user has access to the system tray (e.g. to check the time).

I removed the SystemTrays definition in XAML completely. In most cases, this is very easy, but if you are using some toolkits (such as TimePicker in the CodingForFun toolkit), you have to remove the definition in the OpenSource code and recompile it yourself. This also means you are not able to use NuGet.

Hopefully there will be a solution for this.

Sunday, November 2, 2014 5:13 PM
  • After some more investigation, another German developer and I (and also Peperoncino_WP8 2 posts above) figured out that the problem is only taking place when the device is set up to GERMAN. When the device is set to English, everything is working fine.

In addition, I'm facing another NEW issue with GERMAN Windows Phones: Some of my apps are not starting, when the user has a Lumia 730 (DENIM) and active OnScreen-Keyboard. After the OnScreen-Keyboard is inactive, the app is starting normally. And again: Changing the phone language to English ... no issues at all!

In consequence: There is definitely a bug in Windows Phone in combination with the German language. Or does anybody has another opinion?

Sunday, November 2, 2014 5:38 PM
  • Hello everyone,

the problem still exists. I confirm that the problem on devices such as 930, 1520 does not exist if the culture is set to English (in other languages, such as Italian happens as described above).

I confirm also problems on the Lumia 730 and I think this bug is the above mentioned by Benjamin Sautermeister.

How is it that after months from the first reports the problem is not yet resolved? You can not solve the problem?

I hope to soon read somewhere that this annoying bug is resolved.
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 8:16 AM
  • Can you provide a simple repro of the problem and the steps necessary to create the issue?

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 12:36 PM
  • Can you provide a simplified repro and steps to recreate the issue?

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, December 29, 2014 5:04 PM
  • Hi jeff,

This issue can be reproduced in the emulator 8.1 5.5 inch and 6 inch.

- Create a sample app with one sample XAML page.

- Set the 'SystemTray' enabled and visible

- Create a sample 'ApplicationBar' and set it visible

- Initialize a Speechrecognizer instance in Page#onNavigatedTo() or Page#onLoaded()

- Run the app in emulator.

This app will crash immediately if 

- running on 6 inch emulator and SystemTray is set to 'visible'

- running on 5.5 inch emulator and SystemTray and ApplicationBar are set to 'visible'

This app will not crash if

- running on 6 inch emulator and SystemTray is set to 'not visible'

- running on 5.5 inch emulator and SystemTray and ApplicationBar are set to 'not visible'

The error looks like:

Application_UnhandledException - Error: System.Exception: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
       at MS.Internal.XcpImports.CheckHResult(UInt32 hr)
       at MS.Internal.XcpImports.SetValue(IManagedPeerBase obj, DependencyProperty property, String s)
       at MS.Internal.XcpImports.SetValue(IManagedPeerBase doh, DependencyProperty property, Object obj)
       at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetObjectValueToCore(DependencyProperty dp, Object value)
       at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetEffectiveValue(DependencyProperty property, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, Object newValue)
       at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(DependencyProperty property, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, ValueOperation operation)
       at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValueInternal(DependencyProperty dp, Object value, Boolean allowReadOnlySet)
       at Microsoft.Phone.Controls.PhoneApplicationFrame.UpdateMargin(Thickness region, PageOrientation orientation)
       at Microsoft.Phone.Controls.PhoneApplicationFrame.OnVisibleRegionChange(Object sender, VisibleRegionChangeEventArgs args)
       at Microsoft.Phone.Controls.PhoneApplicationFrame.System.Windows.Controls.IFrame.InternalOnVisibleRegionChange(Object sender, VisibleRegionChangeEventArgs args)
       at System.Windows.Controls.Frame.FireEventHandler[T](EventHandler`1 handler, Object sender, T args)
       at Microsoft.Phone.Controls.PhoneApplicationPage.set_VisibleRegionInPhysicalPixels(RECT value)
       at Microsoft.Phone.Controls.PhoneApplicationPage.UpdateCurrentVisualState()
       at Microsoft.Phone.Controls.PhoneApplicationPage.HandleVisibleRegionChange()
       at Microsoft.Phone.Controls.PhoneApplicationPage.OnVisibleRegionChange()
       at Microsoft.Phone.TaskModel.Interop.Task.FireOnVisibleRegionChange()

Thanks in advance

Monday, December 29, 2014 9:37 PM
  • Hello Jeff,

any new about this problem ?

We are still getting bad reviews from users and support requests ...

It would be great after so much time have a fix at the problem.

Thank you.

A. Testa

Monday, January 26, 2015 8:45 AM