Unable to Launch Windows Phone Emulator RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to run unit tests on our CI server. When i run the following command it tries to launch emulator but fails with the following message

vstest.console.exe myxapfile.xap

Error Message

The Windows Phone Emulator wasn't able to ensure the virtual machine was running:

Something happened while starting a virtual machine: 'Emulator WVGA 512MB.ttmaltiparmak' failed to start. (Virtual machine ID 1350ADCE-CC35-4615-BFD5-250179F789EE)

The Virtual Machine Management Service failed to start the virtual machine 'Emulator WVGA
    512MB.ttmaltiparmak' because one of the Hyper-V components is not running (Virtual machine ID
    1350ADCE-CC35-4615-BFD5-250179F789EE).

My system seems to support following requirements (But it is a virtual machine is it a problem?)

• 64 bit windows 8
    • SLAT Support
    • 4 GB ram
    • Hyper-V is on
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:36 PM

Answers

• But it is a virtual machine is it a problem?

The Windows Phone 8 emulators do not support running inside another VM although you should have gotten a warning or error during SDK install.

-Eric.

• Marked as answer by mehmet6parmak Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:19 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:02 PM

All replies

• But it is a virtual machine is it a problem?

The Windows Phone 8 emulators do not support running inside another VM although you should have gotten a warning or error during SDK install.

-Eric.

• Marked as answer by mehmet6parmak Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:19 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:02 PM
  • According to this post, it is possible to install Hyper-V on a virtual machine in Hyper-V. Although it is not officially supported.

If the Hyper-V is running, why the Windows Phone emulator whould not run inside a VM?

George J.

Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:58 PM
  • If the Hyper-V is running, why the Windows Phone emulator whould not run inside a VM?

Some developers have successfully configured VMware, Parallels, and other platforms to run a virtual Windows 8 that runs the phone emulator. Not supported doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. It means that it hasn't gone through Microsoft testing and not guaranteed to work. You should try Hyper-V under Hyper-V. There's a chance it might work with the right Hyper-V configuration.

Sunday, October 13, 2013 2:34 AM
  • Not supported doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. It means that it hasn't gone through Microsoft testing and not guaranteed to work.

Totally agree.

You should try Hyper-V under Hyper-V. There's a chance it might work with the right Hyper-V configuration.

Any pointer on the configuration? Anyone?

George J.

George J. Capnias Athens, Hellas MVP(VSTO), INETA Country Leader (Greece) MCT, MCSD, MCDBA, MCAD, MCP+SB [url=http://www.dotnetzone.gr/cs]dotNETZone Administrator[/url]

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:29 AM
  • This sucks big time. I just got a new Win 8.1 laptop and having used Windows Server 2012 as a desktop for quite some - I now virtually do all development on VMs. Easier to swap / easier to throw and restore the machine from back up - I had decided not to "pollute" my host machine and decided to take the Hyper V on Win 8.1 for a spin.

After installing Win 8.1 on a Win 8.1 host, I installed VS.Net 2013 on the VM client. 

1. The Windows Phone VM on the 8.1 client wouldn't start (because of the Hyper-V components is not running).  Hyper-V is turned on (both Management Tools & Platform are installed)

2. Was hoping if the emulation wouldn't work, at least the real thing will:  Connected my Nokia 1020, set up RDP to share the device.  Nope.  The registration wizard wouldn't recognize the Nokia on the host.  I mean, Win 8.1 guest was supposed to detect the shared device from the host as a new device and install drivers. It didn't.

Pointers anyone?  Thanks in advance.

Vyas

Saturday, November 9, 2013 8:01 PM
  • My VM guest OS now able to detect Nokia 1020 connected to the host (in my case it's Windows Server 2012 R2) via RemoteFx USB Redirection.

On #1:  I was able to prove that the WP8 VM actually runs by copying the VHDs (all differencing disks in the chain) to my Windows Server 2012 R2 host.  Obviously, this doesn't have VS.Net installed.

I'm still trying to get my emulator to run on the 8.1 guest.  I'll use the actual device for now.  I'd appreciate help from anyone that's able to get this to run.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Addressed couple of "Windows Phone Emulator Issues" in this Blog post. I solved them by myself and posted that info so that it too can help others. 
    Monday, July 7, 2014 2:17 AM
  • @PratapReddy, your blog post will be definitely useful and addresses many of the issues posted recently by those devs who are getting into WP DEV. These are the steps that I did a year and half ago and having them summed up at one place will be of great use to many. You should be providing this link in every post that is relevant.

Secondly, for those who got complaints about VM within a VM, yes officially MS doesn't guarantee. But I too have a WP8 SDK installation within Win8.1 running over Parallels 9 on a MacBook Pro. I too had issues in installing and running WP8 emulators in Parallels. But with Win8.1 Upadate 1 and Parallels 9, by enabling 'nested VM' I have installed WP8 & 8.1 SDKs successfully.

ThanQ...

Monday, July 7, 2014 2:32 PM