Why does my console open twice when i run? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok guys, i created a new C++ empty project, added a source file (source.cpp), typed in a simple code such as "Hello World". And when i compile using F5, well, the console opens with my Hello World, but after i close it, the console will always pop up again a second time doing the exact same thing (Hello World). Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

#include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    cout << "Hello World." << endl;
    system ("pause");
    }

Monday, March 24, 2014 8:20 AM

Answers

• >Removed system("pause") and changed to cin.get() instead, still the same problem.

Weird!

What happens if you use F10 to step through the program with the
    debugger?

What happens if you use Ctrl+F5?

Dave

Well.. Ctrl + F5 did the same thing, opened and run twice.

When i press F10, the console open once, and my program run as per normal, and then my program ended, the console closes, and the 2nd console will open which will be blank, with a yellow arrow beside the my 'int main(){'.

LOLOLOLOLOL!!! Solved............ So sorry so wasting all ur time.. I feel so damn bloody stupid right now.. The problem that caused this was................. "Avast Deepscreen" zZzZzZzZz....

Apparently the 1st window that pops up was avast deepscreen.. -_- I disabled it and it's fine now.. X_X Thank you all for all ur time n effort.. >_<

• Proposed as answer by WayneAKing Friday, March 28, 2014 6:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by May Wang - MSFT Tuesday, April 1, 2014 1:57 AM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 6:04 AM

All replies

• Ok guys, i created a new C++ empty project, added a source file (source.cpp), typed in a simple code such as "Hello World". And when i compile using F5, well, the console opens with my Hello World, but after i close it, the console will always pop up again a second time doing the exact same thing (Hello World). Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

system ("pause");

Remove the call to system. It's invoking an instance of the command
    processor.

Dave

Monday, March 24, 2014 9:35 AM

#include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    system ("pause");
    }

This does not happen to me. Which version of Visual C++ are you using?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Monday, March 24, 2014 9:48 AM
  • Removed system("pause") and changed to cin.get() instead, still the same problem.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:47 AM

#include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    system ("pause");
    }

This does not happen to me. Which version of Visual C++ are you using?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Hmm.. I'm currently using 'Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop'. I did a C# project before n i didn't have this.. I have no idea why am i having this now..
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:48 AM
  • >Removed system("pause") and changed to cin.get() instead, still the same problem.

Weird!

debugger?

Dave

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:42 AM

Weird!

debugger?

Dave

When i press F10, the console open once, and my program run as per normal, and then my program ended, the console closes, and the 2nd console will open which will be blank, with a yellow arrow beside the my 'int main(){'.

Friday, March 28, 2014 4:56 AM
  • Hi Lancerdragon,

As it is an OS feature Its really not a recommended way to use System("pause").

Its really a time consuming task.

1)suspend your program

2)call the operating system

3)open an operating system shell (relaunches the O/S in a sub-process)

the O/S must now find the PAUSE command

4)allocate the memory to execute the command

5)execute the command and wait for a keystroke

6)deallocate the memory

7)exit the OS

8)resume your program

The language support much better way : include stdlib.h or cstdlib So in C, use getchar() instead. In C++, how about cin.get().

Thanks,
    Bhash
    Friday, March 28, 2014 5:17 AM
  • Hi Lancerdragon,

As it is an OS feature Its really not a recommended way to use System("pause").

Its really a time consuming task.

1)suspend your program

2)call the operating system

3)open an operating system shell (relaunches the O/S in a sub-process)

the O/S must now find the PAUSE command

4)allocate the memory to execute the command

5)execute the command and wait for a keystroke

6)deallocate the memory

7)exit the OS

8)resume your program

The language support much better way : include stdlib.h or cstdlib So in C, use getchar() instead. In C++, how about cin.get().

Thanks,
    Bhash

Hi Bhash,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I shall change it to cin.get() then.

But still it doesn't solve the issue i am facing. I have to run my program and see it on the 1st console, then when im done i still have to close the 2nd console that pops up after i close the 1st console.

Friday, March 28, 2014 5:21 AM

Weird!

debugger?

Dave

LOLOLOLOLOL!!! Solved............ So sorry so wasting all ur time.. I feel so damn bloody stupid right now.. The problem that caused this was................. "Avast Deepscreen" zZzZzZzZz....

Apparently the 1st window that pops up was avast deepscreen.. -_- I disabled it and it's fine now.. X_X Thank you all for all ur time n effort.. >_<

• Proposed as answer by WayneAKing Friday, March 28, 2014 6:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by May Wang - MSFT Tuesday, April 1, 2014 1:57 AM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 6:04 AM
  • The problem that caused this was................. "Avast Deepscreen"

Ah yes ... automatic "sandboxing" to test suspicious/unknown programs before letting them run "live".

>I disabled it and it's fine now..

If you mean you disabled "Deepscreen" then a better/safer method would be to make your
    directories where the program's you're building reside "exclusions" in avast!'s settings.
    That way you won't lose the protection completely.

- Wayne

Friday, March 28, 2014 6:26 AM
  • As it is an OS feature Its really not a recommended way to use System("pause").

<off topic start>

It's system("pause"); - we're using a case-sensitive language.

It's only a concern if anticipating porting code to another platform which may not support
    the "pause" operation. The system() function is part of ANSI C and so is supported by all
    Standards-conforming compilers. Even this porting concern is trivial so long as this usage
    is limited to program termination. Then it can be changed easily enough - usually only a
    single line change - if "pause" isn't supported on the target platform. Putting it in an
    atexit() function allows system("pause") to be specified only once regardless of the number
    of exit/return points in main().

>Its really a time consuming task.

You make it sound like that, and I'm sure a profiler may agree. But realistically we're
    talking about milliseconds here - usually imperceptible to a human. I would love to sit
    you down before a computer and have you execute two versions of a test program - one using
    system("pause") and the other using getchar(), getch(), cin, etc. I'd wager that you would
    not be able to tell me which is which.

Given that what the end-user (programmer) is waiting for here is program execution suspension,
    typically program output to the console is already on the screen and whether the user is
    waiting for system("pause") to pause the execution or some other method the result is the
    desired effect: the console stays open and screen contents can be examined. Whether this
    occurs before, during or after the execution of the chosen method is irrelevant - the
    desired effect is achieved in any case and any "performance" issues with the method used
    are transparent. It's not as if the user is waiting anxiously for the pause to complete so
    he/she can resume execution immediately.

>The language support much better way ...

"Better" is a subjective assessment. "Much better" is hyperbole.

In the final analysis, obsessing over such minutiae is counter-productive.
    Let the coder exercise his/her prerogative and use whichever method is most
    comfortable. If it's not going to be left in the Release build, then arguably
    a better method is to use debugger breakpoints. IMHO

The same arguments that you advance against system("pause") could be suggested in
    opposition to system("cls") but I've never seen a programmer complain that this
    takes too long to clear the screen and resume program execution. In real life
    there is rarely if ever a performance issue with using system() - I don't even
    recall any when using these methods on a 10 MHZ XT.

<off topic end>

- Wayne

Friday, March 28, 2014 6:32 AM
  • <g class="gr_ gr_33 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="33" id="33">Dude</g> I'm pretty sure you just saved me many hours of pulling my hair out. Had the same issue with avast ;p

Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:20 PM