none
OLB files missing, so they stop application! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm only 13, and I LOVE programming and making video games, I  used to be a "Minecraft" fanboy, so I started with Java, but I found out about C++.

One day, I installed Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express and it doesn't even let me run it! I heard people had this problem before, but it's usually one file missing. They fixed their problem by registering the olb file(s), but I do not know how to do it! I'm on a Windows 7 Laptop. I have tried reinstalling, but it ends up with the same thing. 

If anyone can help me, I would be VERY happy!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 5:13 AM

All replies

• For starters, did you *install* VC++ 2010 Express
    with *Administrator* privileges? You must.

- Wayne
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 5:26 AM
  • If you mean there is an option for it, then no.
    But if you mean installing it on the administrator user, then yes...
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:48 PM
  • Hello,

Installing it on the administrator user doesn't equal to installing it with administrator privilege.

To install it with administrator privilege, right click on the installation exe and choose "run as administrator".

To register an OLB file, run cmd with administrator privilege and use this command: (supposing you want to register dte100.olb in C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv)

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv>regsvr32 dte100.olb

Specific to your issue, I think you could try registering these files: dte80.olb, dte80a.olb, dte90.olb, dte90a.olb, dte100.olb

For your reference: How to Fix “The application cannot start” Error

By the way, I cannot find the pictures by those url you posted, I try to open them but it shows "Page Not Found".

Thanks,

Damon Zheng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:26 AM
  • Alright so I tried the copy/paste you showed me, but it says " 'C:\Program' is not a recognized as a internal or external command"
    I tried a way that uses the built-in "Run" application, and typed "regsvr32 C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\MicrosoftShared\MSEnv\DTE.OLB"
    but that just shows up an identical thing...

Friday, January 11, 2013 3:29 AM
  • OK, I should have explained more clearly.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv>regsvr32 dte100.olb

This means executing the command "regsvr32 dte100.olb" in the directory of "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv".

So the entire procedure is:

Step1: execute "cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv" to make it current directory. (If you are using a 64-bit OS the directory could be C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv)

Step2: execute "regsvr32 dte100.olb" to register the olb file.

Note that you must run cmd as administrator.

Thanks,

Damon Zheng
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 11, 2013 3:48 AM
  • "The module dte100.olb failed to load"
    I also tried to do dte80.olb...didn't work of course(Same Problem)
    It also says "Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .dll files---The specified module could not be found"

Friday, January 11, 2013 4:28 AM
  • Try running cmd.exe immediately (not as administrator) and register those olb file.

According to the error message, the olb file should be 32-bit. Running as administrator will open the 64-bit cmd, which I think could be a possible cause of the failure.

Thanks,

Damon Zheng

Friday, January 11, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Still failed to load
    Friday, January 11, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Have you make "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv" as current directory using cd command?

And noticing you are using Windows 7, I think the correct path should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv".

Please check that those files are in the directory before registering them.

Thanks,

Damon Zheng

Friday, January 11, 2013 1:23 PM
  • Alright, so I went to the directory manually and it said I didn't have the privilege to enter "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv",

I went through the security process and edited the owner to be me...
    Then I opened it and found all of the files!
    BUT...it still shows "Application can not start"

Friday, January 11, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Alright, Now, I think I have to just have the security to everything actually IN the folder...Is there anyway I can allow permissions to all these files without doing it one by one?

Friday, January 11, 2013 11:16 PM
  • I think the fastest way to have the privilege to everything is logging in with an administrator account. Are you sure you are using an administrator account? If not, try an administrator account. According to all we have discussed so far, I think your issue is mainly about the security authority in Windows 7.

Damon Zheng

Monday, January 14, 2013 3:21 AM
  • Well, this user is the only one, I just wonder why I don't have permissions from the start...

Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:33 PM
  • Alright, well, a few days ago, I factory reset the computer, it works now, but I think this problem should still be found out. 'Just reaching out to the other guys ;)

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:49 AM