none
Internet of Things - Working with Raspberry Pi and Windows 10 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Although small, the Raspberry Pi is a powerful computer. Now you can run Windows 10 applications on the popular IoT client platform the same way you could on a desktop machine. This article shows how to use Raspberry Pi to develop projects using C#.

Read this article in the May 2017 issue of MSDN Magazine

Monday, May 1, 2017 3:42 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Directly from Windows 7 or 10, in any #dotnet language with Nusbio.net.
    8 gpios, I2C, SPI protocol, ADC (Analog to digital converter).
    C#/Windows Native.

ftorres

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 10:52 PM
  • 40 years of embedded programming experience going back to developing embedded devices in assembly with not real OS.  I've been "watching" Win10 IoT as a "possible" for some potential product concepts. Two issues that haven't been clear to me...

#1. Some embedded products often simply do not have the option of being updated.  Other have serious security-related concerns pertaining to any potential updates.  My understanding was Win10 IoT wanted to insist upon being updated periodically.  Is this true?  Is there any way around it?

#2. Does Win10 IoT support any of the Windows domain capability.  Can Win10 be configured to join domains, etc?

Thanks.

-- kburgoyne

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:53 AM
  • Same type of applications can be developed Using C# and MonoDevelop IDE in Linux/Ubuntu. That way we don't need a hosting computer, development and debugging can be done on the Raspberry board itself assuming monitor, keyboard, and mouse are connected to it.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:09 PM
  • Nice article. Thanks! W10 on Rasp Pi has come a long way. Previous releases involved PowerShell scripts and lots of work to get things running. The Windows Device Portal is a huge improvement. For a lot of work, I still use Raspbian (Linux) on the Pi frequently, but it is nice to have the C# language and tooling in VS2017 and the debugger available.

A few remarks about the article.

1. Quick-run sample Internet Radio, when set to run at startup (bad idea!) cannot be removed from startup using the Device Portal. It continuously takes over the UI. And it doesn't work through that is a minor issue. I ended up creating a fresh SD card with the operating system. Any PS commands to eradicate the startup setting?

2. The sample code in the article works fine. I ended up adding 

using Windows.Devices.Gpio;

otherwise the GPIO references are unresolved. VS2017 goes pretty far in suggesting the right "using" directive.

3. Using a Pi 3 B on a fast local LAN, running VS2017 on a really fast desktop, I still get messages from VS2017 that deployment takes longer than expected. The code ends up on the Pi and interaction with the debugger is ok. Any ideas?

4. The XAML code, when copied from the MSDN article online and pasted into the code editor results in many squiggles and error messages. With some editing and deleting spaces and line feeds,  it works. Perhaps you can suggest to the MSDN team that they add a Copy button (and the code to send the right text to the clipboard) next to the source, as is customary in other MSDN pages.

5. You seem to prefer connecting the LED's to +3.3V and use the GPIO pins to sink the current to ground. In many other examples with an EE angle, the GPIO pins are set to high to turn a LED on and the cathodes of the LED's are connected to common ground through a current limiting resistor. The outcome, in terms of LED's lit, remains the same. Any particular reason why you made this choice?

6. (Very minor). In the diagram, you connect the blue rails of the breadboard to +3.3V. The breadboards I have worked with use a Red rails for +Vcc and the Blue rails for ground. Mistakes are easily made when building circuits so I would suggest to stay with the red/+ and blue/- convention.

peter

Friday, June 2, 2017 6:03 PM
  • Hi Peter.  I had to also add code as you denote in #2 above.  I used VS2015, so in some of the examples, such as the Sample App from the UWP Community Toolkit, I had to downgrade versions to get things to run on VS2015.  In regards to your #6, I think Figure 5 was not created properly.  I followed Figure 5 and the lights went Red, Yellow, Green.  I then realized in Figure 9, that the circuit was properly set up.
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:09 AM