none
Don't Get Me Started - Senioritis

General discussion

• The Baby Boomer generation is aging, but high technology isn't doing good job of aging with them, says David Platt in this month's Don't Get Me Started column. How can consumer devices and services like smartphones and TV remote controls better serve the challenges of this growing population?

Read this article in the December 2018 issue of MSDN Magazine

Monday, December 3, 2018 7:54 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I happened to see this article in MSDN Magazine, and certainly understand your attempt to "help" seniors. However, you are simply adding to the prejudice's against seniors. I, as a senior, may be in a very small minority of seniors, but I am sensitive to the generalizing term "senior". You titled the article "Senioritis" as if it's a funny disease; if not an attempt at humor, I hope you're not agreeing with the common misconception that all people over a certain age has "senioritis".

You touched a nerve with me because the world thinks "senioritis" starts at 55, but you can start "senioritis" early at 50 thanks to an AARP subscription. :)

I started as a software engineer late in my career, born in 1955, graduated in 1986 from the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee (hey, same school as another soon-to-have senioritis person - Satya Nadella!). I love technology, it's a wonderful time we live in. I help my sons through their majors in computer science at a nearby University. I helped lead a Windows Phone application get developed through Windows 10 - and today develop Android and ios applications. I did look at Xamarin, but believe Flutter will win that space too.

Seriously, there are people denied work simply because of their age. Forget what the Gov. says about it being illegal it happens ALL THE TIME. Why didn't you write about that?! Perhaps you took the "safer" course? When I was 30 people thought I was too old!

So what your article really achieves is to tell the rest of the world that it's not discrimination, because "they" have senioritis. Perhaps you should think before you write.

Sunday, December 16, 2018 3:26 PM
  • It's awesome that you've seen (and helped with) the transition from pre-internet to the mobile age. However, you're the exception that proves the rule.

It has been my experience that people over 60 years old have lived their own lives, heard about computers in the news as they gained a foothold, maybe used excel spreadsheets and simple software in their lines of work. One day they want to try that "new tech" everyone is talking about.

They get frustrated quickly when they realize the new web pages and devices work nothing like they did 20-30 years ago. Clearly labelled forms have been turned into "wizards," supposedly simple functionality is hidden behind icons hardly large enough to touch (especially if your hands shake like my parents). Wonder turns to embarrassment as the kids try to show you how easy it is.

The article writer is merely trying to point out that these old people have lots of money, they are willing to pay for services that cater to them, and not many people seem to be taking advantage of this. In a way, I think he's trying to break down the wall you're talking about. Technology today seems to discriminate against the elderly. Imagine a young techie's reaction if someone tells him that old people don't like his software!

• Edited by bucolucas Friday, December 21, 2018 9:37 PM
    Friday, December 21, 2018 9:36 PM