none
C# - .NET Reunified: Microsoft’s Plans for .NET 5 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Mark Michaelis this month delves into .NET 5, the promised universal framework that unites the parallel threads of .NET Framework, Xamarin/Mono, and .NET Core into a single, universal target for desktop, Web, cloud, and device developers.

Read this article in the July 2019 issue of MSDN Magazine

Monday, July 1, 2019 5:17 PM
    Owner

All replies

• A truly great exploration of .NET. I enjoyed it very much. I had forgotten that Razor existed. You did not discuss the goals of that framework or how it was intentionally made into a less performant code base. That is probably by design. Good read.
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:40 AM
  • It would be really nice if Microsoft would consider doing the same for WebForms that you're doing for WCF and open source it, versus advising Blazor.

We've been moving from ASP to ASP.NET for over a decade now.  Before someone says "how can it take so long," easy - new change requests arrive daily, are approved daily, and are scored by the contract.  There are 8 people, six of them involved in programming, and the migration from ASP to ASP.NET is not an actual part of the contract or something that we are scored on.

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement WebForms on top of .NET Core 3 - but it'd be a whole lot easier if Microsoft would open source WebForms, just like you're doing with WCF.

And I understand your motivation for the old school web services, etc., being moved to newer strategies.  However, I think you're lacking metrics on exactly how often ASMX files are actually still being used, because companies don't agree to report telemetry to you and block those collections at gateways.  I think Microsoft is missing the actual, real scale of the usage there.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 9:52 PM
  • So, WCF will be available on .Net 5 and Azure-hosted Linux only when / if community will port it?
    Friday, July 12, 2019 1:29 PM
  • Great read. Microsoft had to do this, as developers like me have started investing time in learning java, php, python, swift etc after developing for years in a Microsoft camp.  If Microsoft cared about developers, they would continue to support the technologies they created and just evolve the backends, (webforms, vb, client script nuget…), and make them work in the newer core seamlessly. I'm not a fan of the agile development of backend frameworks- but the unification of the core with traditional frameworks will be a win for the people who stay around.  After the last go around with MVC, Core 1, 2... etc, we gave up. Training providers are less than desirable, two many things change quarterly to count and it is exhausting. Training becomes invalid the week after it is finalized.   This is why we are moving on to stable frameworks- we have had enough. 
    Friday, July 12, 2019 2:55 PM
  • .NET 5 seemed very exciting the moment I heard it announced at BUILD. But it didn't take long to wonder if this was nothing more than semantics. Not meaning that as a critique, but I honestly would like to know what actual *work* is represented in .NET 5, over .NET Core 3.0?

For instance, .NET Core / Standard 2.0 represented a huge amount of work to bring back most full fx APIs to the new. While .NET Core 3 represented making it possible to build WPF, WinForms, etc, on net core. So 2.0 and 3.0 represented a huge amount of actual, concrete work.

So what is being done in .NET 5? It seems like it's just a half-cup full way of stating that the old full framework is dead / replaced. I can understand that, but I fail to see what actual work is being done.

Lastly, please for once state that the ASP.NET MVC (5) has also been left to the way-side. It's extremely disappointing to me how that has been handled, including that the teams never even mention this in such lists / articles. It seemed like zero care was given to make the old MVC compatible with netstandard libraries, when that was *supposed* to happen, but endless conflicts have plagued us for years now *. When the simplest bit of care, even a little love, from any of the team dedicating some time to remove those issues, could have avoided this endless pain. This kind of lack of care for us who can't just convert everything in a day has been and will remain a long-time wound. I say this as someone who is as excited about the new dotnet as anyone, but very much hurt by the lack of care that has been displayed for those of us on MVC 5 and other frameworks.

* Just a brief sampling of the evils, with so little care shown to us. These things kept an MVC 5 proj from even being able to target a netstandard lib, and these problems have lasted literally for YEARS:
    https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/issues/17522
    https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/issues/22781
    etc

Monday, July 15, 2019 5:13 PM
  • Apparently June 2010 was a really long and hard month according to Figure 1.

Very cool look at .NET and am looking forward to the future.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 8:03 PM
  • Who does .NET Native factor into .NET 5 unification? 
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 12:38 PM