none
Azure App Services - Using Azure App Services to Convert a Web Page to PDF

General discussion

• Learn how to give Web site visitors a way to convert a Web page into a PDF document, by creating an Azure App Service Web app that calls a WebJob API. The WebJob can then place the PDF file into an Azure Storage container and return its Internet location using SignalR in real-time.

Read more in the June issue of MSDN Magazine

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 7:04 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Great post by @benperk here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/magazine/mt707529?MC=MSAzure&MC=WebDev

I especially liked the WebAPI call to a WebJob snippet.

Appreneur Application Architect Software Ronin

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:30 AM
  • Enjoyed the article and am currently implementing a solution very similar. I understand the main goal of the article was to show how web jobs can be a solution to a problem. However, the utility used "wkhtmltopdf" is available as open source.

Did you also explore the option of integrating it's functionality by simply including it's source code in one of the components? It could eliminate the extra 'Process' that is created within the web job.

Monday, July 25, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Deployed the solution to Azure, works great on page like www.google.com, however, wkhtmltopdf won't return in 121 seconds for other sites, tried replacing it with new versions etc. It works well locally though... Weird.

Also the pdf URL is provided prior to pdf created.  

http://www.idothink.com

Friday, August 5, 2016 4:02 AM
  • I'm writing an app that's a wizard that helps user generate legal documents. I need to write the resulting document to a PDF, and I'd rather not expose the text as an API call parameter. Is there another way to do PDF generation on Azure?
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 12:53 AM
  • Hello KSharkey, 
        Thank you for the post, I have been working on a project which is hosted on azure PasS webapp service, I had to try generating pdf file, but i had a problem with the generated file's font, which doesn't exist in the Azure server's standard fonts, and i knew that the GDI of the server doesn't allow to add new fonts to the server. so, I had to investigate for alternatives, so do you have any ideas about how to solve this problem ?
    and could your scenario you posted help to fix this issue, or it will be the same?

Thank you

Monday, February 6, 2017 7:13 AM
  • I don't understand why it should works, doesn't web jobs run on the same enviorment than the web app? Using the same resources? how can it run things that the web app cannot run.
    Monday, September 10, 2018 1:23 PM