none
Editor's Note - Hamburger Helper RRS feed

All replies

• One problem I see with XAML is that it is generally misunderstood as being a UI/UX markup language. But it's not. It's first and foremost an XML application to declaratively describe a .NET object graph. Sure you can use this ability to build an UI, to separate the layout from the underlying logic, and it's really good at that, but it's not limited to this scenario. In fact, I'm kind of disappointed that in all these years it hasn't been widely adopted as a solution for other non-UI scenarios (for example, XML-based file formats that directly map to .NET objects, or modeling applications). The .NET Framework provides all that is needed out of the box (using System.Xaml).

Now with XAML Standard, the language is getting sort of deprived of its fundamental feature: The meaning of its tags. That each tag stands for a "real" .NET object, and not a limited set of elements (like HTML) with its own set of abstract properties and that is not extensible. I mean, I'm OK with it as long as XAML Standard is defined as a superset of the language, like TypeScript is for JavaScript, and that it is transpiled down to "normal XAML" for UWP and its native counterpart on other platforms. But I don't like the idea of standardizing it as another HTML because this way it looses a lot of its power.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Putting the object graph to one side, I remain convinced MS need to create a UI framework that works everywhere including the web. If one looks at 'declarative', it really isn't a terribly efficient way to type, and I'm sure C# offers a more concise way to effect a UI structure i.e. is the way to go, particularly for cross OS development e.g. Xamarin.

Whilst MS could originally have taken more of a proprietary 'Apple styled' approach and stuck with a UI framework just for Windows, it ventured into the world of HTML. So I feel the XAML standard doesn't go far enough i.e. it does not attempt to 'embrace and extend' the world of HTML when devs are looking for a single approach.

I believe a C# UI framework which can be cross-compiled for/with WebAssembly and Xamarin is what's really called for, instead of this very complex and verbose markup.

I really love the flat look of W10 - best Windows design in ages (HoloLens or a 2nd screen for a 3D overlay anyone?). The Windows start menu is butt ugly. Maybe it could become a timeline and actually a part of the desktop. Otherwise how about icons that open up to tile apps to full apps according to screen estate - 'origami' if you will? Otherwise it's a bunch of big ugly boxes that convey nothing (same thing on the Microsoft store).

Finally are we stuck with the UWP sidebar? The great thing about HTML is how it frees up the canvas to position anything anywhere.

• Edited by r mac Sunday, December 31, 2017 3:50 PM
    Sunday, December 31, 2017 3:49 PM