none
Modern Apps - Exploring the Map Control RRS feed

• General discussion

• The UWP comes equipped with a fully functional Map control that leverages the power and imagery of Bing’s mapping services. In this column, you’ll explore the Map control and learn just how easy it is to add to your apps.

Read this article in the April 2017 issue of MSDN Magazine

Monday, April 3, 2017 7:56 PM
    Owner

All replies

• What I really dislike about the MapControl, or the API in general, is that there is no way to create and view custom map routes. The only way to obtain a map route is via the MapRouteFinder class, which gets you a route provided by Bing services that you cannot change or customize at all. There's no way to create it from a geopath, for example. So, while the control in itself is nice, it's unusable for advanced purposes such as route planning tools (creating your own route from waypoints, for example), or visualization of GPS-recorded geopaths. You still seem to have to reinvent the wheel to get this kind of features. Pretty sad given the fact that the essential infrastructure seems to be in place.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:54 AM
  • Something changed here. I have an app where I can use map tiles from various providers, and save them in my app local folder. HttpMapTileDataSource used to do it for me: when UriRequested fired, I could give it an uri pointing to the web or to a file in my local storage. The latter stopped working (although it does work with a ms-appx:Assets/ file, very odd), so I had to go the CustomMapTileDataSource route, but the app is less fluid and there is extra code to convert bytes to bitmaps and then to stream references.

Any ideas? Anybody I can talk to?

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:17 PM