No Visual C# DirectX Support RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting rather frustrated trying to find any MSDN documentation, tutorial or samples which cover using DirectX with Visual C#.  Am I imagining it or is there nothing?

I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (Tools for Microsoft Office System) installed and recently installed DirectX SDK (March 2008) and I am stumped on how to get any information on using the SDK with my development suite.  All the samples provided with the SDK are for C++ and I do not have C++ installed nor do I really want to work at the C++ level again.  I am much happier working with C#.

I would like to find anything, something, a nod in the right direction, for using DirectX with Visual C# or even VB.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 12:57 PM

Answers

•  

There is no longer a supported way to access DirectX from C# other than using the Microsoft XNA Framework (over at www.xna.com).  Managed DirectX is very, very dead, and will not return.  Microsoft might offer some kind of managed API that is more aligned with the DirectX APIs, but XNA is pretty much it.  There is, however, an open source managed API for DX called SlimDX.  Check it out on Gamedev.net.
    Friday, October 3, 2008 7:24 PM

All replies

• i think the site is down because apart from these forums, i cannot access anything related to MSDN

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:49 PM
  •  

There is no longer a supported way to access DirectX from C# other than using the Microsoft XNA Framework (over at www.xna.com).  Managed DirectX is very, very dead, and will not return.  Microsoft might offer some kind of managed API that is more aligned with the DirectX APIs, but XNA is pretty much it.  There is, however, an open source managed API for DX called SlimDX.  Check it out on Gamedev.net.
    Friday, October 3, 2008 7:24 PM
  • I believe MS is shooting itself in the foot by not offering a DirectX multimedia API with C#. Granted that the WPF is in place, it doesn't seem to be the end all/be all solution that a Managed DirectX API would provide.

Is there a blog or website that gives some of the reasoning behind MS moving away from a multimedia C# API and going with WPF?
    0_o
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:13 PM