The Blob is not a valid VHD RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been trying to create a local VHD and upload it to the Azure portal.

I am using Csupload -AvvPersistentVmImage to deploy the vhd that i have created and sysprep'd ,but evert time just after it gets uploaded to the storage area the process fails with 

The blob is not a valid VHD.

I can see the blob file in the portal and using the preview portal I can start the process to create a VM, find the vhd  and create image from VHD

However i get the same error again from the createimage call

Any ideas ?

B...

Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:23 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Update; Success. I eventually got a fixed size disk to upload as a VHD.

So it may have been that having a dynamic disk was the issue.

The documentation in the samples ( whic does work for vm roles ) does not make clear that you must use a Fixed size disk and the steps in the guide show a dynamic disk.

There was also some documentation about CSupload supposedly inspecting the file to upload and only uploading the blocks needed. In the first set of tests i completed the 30GB file uplaod took 33 - 40 minutes and produced an error. The 20GB fixed disk too nearly 2 hours to upload and registered without error.

HTH

B...

Friday, July 27, 2012 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Bruce,

It looks like something went wrong while creating the VHD. Can you provide more details of the steps you have taken to create, upload the VHD? Does the VHD you have created use fixed disk or dynamic disk? What is the type of blob you have stored your VHD in? Did you use Hyper-V or any other tools to create VHD? What operating system the VHD contains? What is the size of the VHD you?

Below article has the steps to upload a VHD. Can you confirm if you are following the same steps as mentioned in the article?

http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/manage/windows/common-tasks/upload-a-vhd/#upload

Thanks,

Hari

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Hi there,

I have created the VHD using Hyper-V on a server i have used before to create a VM role ( when they first came out in beta )

The VHD has been created as both fixed and dynamic

I have sys prepped the image and not sys prepped the image

I have tried loading it as AddDisk, AddPersistentVMImage and add image.

The vhd has been loaded with and without the integration tools ( the online docs on this are very inconsistent if you use msdn / technet / treaing kit etc )

The process i have done to create the image is

Create new Hpyer-V

Add new disk ( of various sizes)

Installed w2008R2 std

run updates

added some software

added the image to the local domain ( this might be the problem ) and i am trying to so this step by step

added vm connect tool endpoint

What i am triyng to achieve is a hosted service running on port 80 in the cloud that then connects via a connect end point to a database on premises. I did something similiar to this a while back but the machines were not on the domain before being loaded up to azure..

B..

B...

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

more info, but nothing positive. :-(

I have downloaded the w2008svr sp1 VHD from the trial site on technet.

loaded it up in hyper-v, started it, logged in and run sysprep on it and then used the CSupload to load the file.

It goes through the checking process.

Pushes a page blob to the portal and again reports the same error.

This is beginning to look like an upload error or network issue ?

any thoughts ?

B..

Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:20 PM
  • Hello,

Update; Success. I eventually got a fixed size disk to upload as a VHD.

So it may have been that having a dynamic disk was the issue.

The documentation in the samples ( whic does work for vm roles ) does not make clear that you must use a Fixed size disk and the steps in the guide show a dynamic disk.

There was also some documentation about CSupload supposedly inspecting the file to upload and only uploading the blocks needed. In the first set of tests i completed the 30GB file uplaod took 33 - 40 minutes and produced an error. The 20GB fixed disk too nearly 2 hours to upload and registered without error.

HTH

B...

Friday, July 27, 2012 1:46 PM