Common Issues - VHD Management RRS feed

• General discussion

• This posting contains a list of some of the common problems that have been seen in early usage of Windows Azure Virtual Machines. These topics can be used as a guide to resolve some of the most common problems that are likely to occur when first using Windows Azure Virtual Machines

1.) Create VM fails with error: "A lease conflict occurred with the blob <Blob URL>."

This is because the naming scheme for the VHD that is created in blob storage is <Cloud Service>-<VM Name>-<Date>. If you create a VM named Foo, and then delete the VM, you must also delete the disk object and blob before reusing the same VM name with the same Cloud Service name.

See also Error when reusing existing disk for new VM: A lease conflict occurred with the blob.

2.) Newly attached data disk is not visible in VM

For most VMs the default setting for a new disk is to not automatically online the disk. To online the disk open Disk Management MMC Snapin, then right-click on the disk and select Online.

3.) Unable to delete VHD blob with error: "There is currently a lease on the blob and no lease ID was specified in the request."

This will occur if the VHD blob is still referenced as either a disk or image in the Azure Portal. If you delete the image or disk entry that is pointing to this VHD, then the lease will be released allowing delete or modify operations to be performed on the VHD.

Please note that even after deleting a virtual machine the disk for the virtual machine is still retained by default. If you wish to completely delete the VHD you must delete the disk and then delete the blob.

See also
    Error deleting VHD: There is currently a lease on the blob and no lease ID was specified in the request.

4.) Azure Virtual Machine is gone after capturing an image

After the capture operation is completed the VM that was captured is actually deleted. This VM can be recreated by creating a new VM and using the existing disk that was captured as the disk for the new VM.

Messages posted to this forum are provided "AS IS" with no warranties

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 9:08 AM

All replies

• RE: 4.) Azure Virtual Machine is gone after capturing an image

While creating the VM instance from the old VHD works, I was not able to RDP into the newly created instance. I see the RemoteDesktop endpoint for the instance in the portal, but I'm not able to connect.

• Edited by atilekt Sunday, June 10, 2012 10:25 PM
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 10:23 PM
  • I have run into issue 3.), but can't resolve it in the mentioned way.

- I deleted my VM instance via the management console.

- I cannot delete the storage account via the management console because there is "an active image and/or disk artifacts" (the .vhd file).

- I cannot delete the .vhd blob, as it gives me the abovementioned "There is currently a lease on the blob and no lease ID was specified in the request" error.

Is this a deadlock? Can't delete the account while there's a blob, but also can't delete the blob because the VM is already gone? Am I missing something?

Monday, June 11, 2012 6:05 AM
  • Sorry for my post above, now I got it. There's a "Disks" tab in the management console, even if I deleted all VMs. Problem solved.
    Monday, June 11, 2012 4:14 PM
  • please wait 2 hour ad then delete the vhd.

it solved for me

Friday, March 22, 2013 11:46 AM
  • I have run into issue 3.), but can't resolve it in the mentioned way.

- I deleted my VM instance via the management console.

- I cannot delete the storage account via the management console because there is "an active image and/or disk artifacts" (the .vhd file).

- I cannot delete the .vhd blob, as it gives me the abovementioned "There is currently a lease on the blob and no lease ID was specified in the request" error.

Is this a deadlock? Can't delete the account while there's a blob, but also can't delete the blob because the VM is already gone? Am I missing something?

I have a same error... I deleted my VM yesterday.

All item in my test azure subscription http://sdrv.ms/1bTKej0

PS C:\Script> get-azurevm
    PS C:\Script> get-azuredisk

AffinityGroup        :
    AttachedTo           : RoleName: IIS02
                           DeploymentName: IIS01
                           HostedServiceName: kosmosnimki
    IsCorrupted          : False
    Label                :
    Location             : North Europe
    DiskSizeInGB         : 128
    MediaLink            : http://pugachevstorage01.blob.core.windows.net/vhds/kosmosnimki-IIS02-2013-10-11.vhd
    DiskName             : IIS01-IIS02-0-201310111047080513
    SourceImageName      : a699494373c04fc0bc8f2bb1389d6106__Win2K8R2SP1-Datacenter-201309.01-en.us-127GB.vhd
    OS                   : Windows
    OperationDescription : Get-AzureDisk
    OperationId          : ec21ffd2-03d5-1bcd-8a8f-1fd6d3b2c2a5
    OperationStatus      : Succeeded

AffinityGroup        : PDKlab01
    AttachedTo           : RoleName: PDKlabAD01
                           DeploymentName: PDKlabAD01
                           HostedServiceName: PDKlabAD
    IsCorrupted          : False
    Label                :
    Location             :
    DiskSizeInGB         : 128
    MediaLink            : http://pdklabstor01.blob.core.windows.net/vhds/PDKlabAD-PDKlabAD01-2013-10-14.vhd
    DiskName             : PDKlabAD01-PDKlabAD01-0-201310141350070467
    SourceImageName      : a699494373c04fc0bc8f2bb1389d6106__Windows-Server-2012-Datacenter-201309.01-en.us-127GB.vhd
    OS                   : Windows
    OperationDescription : Get-AzureDisk
    OperationId          : ec21ffd2-03d5-1bcd-8a8f-1fd6d3b2c2a5
    OperationStatus      : Succeeded

How unlinked and delete disk?

I read and tried to delete a disk as is written in this article http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/7381ea0e-0443-4b33-aa12-ba39df003409/error-deleting-vhd-there-is-currently-a-lease-on-the-blob-and-no-lease-id-was-specified-in-the?forum=WAVirtualMachinesforWindows

I tried both methods and they didn't help me

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:59 PM
  • Dmitry,

In your case it looks like you should be able to delete the disks using the standard cmdlet 'Remove-AzureDisk'. Based on the output above it looks like you need to execute the following two commands:

PS C:\> Remove-AzureDisk -DiskName IIS01-IIS02-0-201310111047080513 

PS C:\> Remove-AzureDisk -DiskName PDKlabAD01-PDKlabAD01-0-201310141350070467

It is also possible to remove these disks from the Azure Portal by navigating to Virtual Machines --> Disks --> <Select Disk> --> Delete.

Messages posted to this forum are provided "AS IS" with no warranties

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:31 AM