none
How can I diagnose 502 errors on WordPress on Azure

Question

• For some reason I've been getting 502 errors whenever I try to login to my WordPress on Azure site.  

I enter the username and password and I get 

502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server.

Clear DB swears up and down it is not them.  Oddly, when I try to comment on a blog post I get the same error.  It seems to be doing reads just fine, but not writes or posts.

The error can be replicated by going to https://digitaltoolfactory.net/blog/wp-login.php and entering anything into the fields and clicking submit.

Oddly, I have other wordpress sites on my azure account, and they work just fine, using the same database.  This is the only site I use an ssl certificate on however.

I have removed the ssl certificate and I still get the same error.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Saturday, September 14, 2013 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

502 error indicates that WAWS front-end timed out while waiting for a response from your application, the timeout is 3 minutes. To troubleshoot the issue you need enable FREB trace on the Configure screen in Azure management portal. Also here is a blog introduce how to use profiling to find out what's going on, for your information.

#PHP Troubleshooting in Windows Azure Web Sites

http://blogs.iis.net/ruslany/archive/2013/01/30/php-troubleshooting-in-windows-azure-web-sites.aspx

Best Regards.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 16, 2013 12:03 AM
  • This is something that will likely take some more detailed investigation from us via an assisted support case. However, you may be able to get further if you can see if ClearDB has any logs they can provide you from the connection attempt. It may certainly not be them, so you can also open a case with us and we can investigate from our side.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Monday, September 16, 2013 12:17 PM
  • ClearDB insists up and down that it is not on their end - How can I open a case with you?
    Monday, September 16, 2013 4:21 PM
  • You can see your support options here.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Monday, September 16, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Actually it was Glimpse that was causing the problem - there were glimpse entries in the FREB logs - no idea why that was running on the server, but that was the problem.
    Monday, September 16, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Actually it was Glimpse that was causing the problem - there were glimpse entries in the FREB logs - no idea why that was running on the server, but that was the problem.

So do you try contact Glimpse's support for this issue? I think it would be a better choice if you can confirm it is a Glimpse issue.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:10 PM