none
Task Scheduler on SBS 2008

Question

• I am using Windows SBS 2008 SP2. I found some strange problem occur on the task scheduler services.

I configured the shadow copies & windows backup task on my server, set the triggers run everyday. It work fine from Monday to Saturday.

But on Sunday, it suddenly bypass all of the tasks means no task has been run whole day. There is no error message on the event viewer about both tasks. So I restart the server, it work fine again.

Next Sunday, the strange problem occur again, no tasks has been run UNTIL I restart the server.

I checked the event log, noticed that the task eng did not start to request the task to launch, why ?

What is the problem of the task scheduler ? Why the task has not been run without any error log on event viewer ?

I don't want to restart the server everyweek to make it work. Please help to fix it.

Monday, November 22, 2010 8:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• It work fine now after DISABLE the SOXE task of Windows Live on task scheduler.
    Monday, December 6, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Wonderful. We had exactly the same problem but didn't realise until today that the problem we thought was "intermittent"  was in fact a Sunday / Monday issue.

The moment I disabled the SOXE task (and each of its two triggers) the seven tasks that SHOULD have launched at various time yesterday ALL started running! (Presumably they were all sitting in a queue "waiting" for something to stop that would allow them to run)

Amazing!

How did you identify the problem?

I think that the problem arose when we installed Microsoft Security Essentials on our Windows Server 2008. It certainly coincided with that. Could there be a link? If so, Microsoft should be able to fix the root cause of the problem.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:18 PM
  • I did not install Microsoft Security Essentials but Windows Live Mail on SBS 2008. That problem occured after updated Windows Live Essentials 2011 by Windows Update .

I monitored the event viewer everyday, found that the problem just occured on Sunday ONLY.

So, I searched whole event log of task scheduler, identify the problem just occured after the SOXE task ran. Then I disable the SOXE task, ALL of others tasks start to run properly.

I guess that the problem is related between Windows Live & SOXE due to that task is used to update the engine for anti-spam on Windows Live Mail.

I did not find out any related paper mention the about problem. Hope Micorosft will issue a hot fix for the root cause of that problem.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Interesting. I didn't expect your fix to work for us because the log for our SOXE task said it hadn't run since the 18th (Tuesday).

Yours was the 3rd post I found on the subect and way down my Google list. The others only got as far as having a workaround of a "Sunday reboot" (great!).  So I've put a post on each of them pointing to your helpful REAL answer here.

This is SUCH a big issue. People expect their scheduled tasks to carry on working once they start working. Techies set things up for end users who do not have in house knowledge and would not monitor the running of their scheduled tasks. In our case we had key backup tasks (not) running. Luckily for us, we do monitor them and were aware that they weren't working, and that a reboot sorted it out.

Let's hope Microsoft pick up on your brilliant deduction. I see you had to answer your own problem.

David

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Hi, There...

I have the same problem, but my server did not install Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Live.

And, my un-expected stop run also happens on weekday, not only on Sunday or Monday.

Please adviseto how to fix it. Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by rainwind67 Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:30 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by rainwind67 Monday, April 16, 2012 2:54 AM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:27 AM
  • I tell them that I had the same problem on a windows server 2008 32bit s / virtualizer. past six days it stopped working the scheduled tasks, and proved to be as a commentator said, installing windows Live mail 2011 began the problem. The solution was precisely this task that relate "SoxE" which actually noticed to explore just stopped last 6 days of continuous operation. I disabled it and the problem was solved, but perhaps change the number to 10 or 20 diáz tabi result útil.-
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:54 PM