none
SOAP Toolkit 3.0 and Windows Server 2008 ??? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to know if it is possible to use SOAP Toolkit 3.0 on a Windows Server 2008 with IIS 7.0

We have a web application running VB6 DLLs which uses
    SOAP Toolkit 3.0 to talk to a web service.

I know that Microsoft says that
    The Microsoft SOAP Toolkit is deprecated and that you should use .NET Framework instead.

But is it possible to use
    SOAP Toolkit 3.0 anyway or do i have to migrate the code to .NET ?

Thanks // Mattias G
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:07 AM

Answers

• Problem solved, the proxy settings for 32-bit applications were not set, only for 64-bit.

That caused the DLL to time out when loading the WSDL-file.

So no problem for old VB6-dlls to run on this environment.

// Mattias G
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:14 AM

All replies

• Problem solved, the proxy settings for 32-bit applications were not set, only for 64-bit.

That caused the DLL to time out when loading the WSDL-file.

So no problem for old VB6-dlls to run on this environment.

// Mattias G
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:14 AM
  • Hi Mattias
    I'm experiencing the same issues on a Win2008 server and SOAP toolkit 3.0 and my VFP dll's.
    What do you mean with "the proxy settings for 32-bit applications were not set"? Or better: how did you set those settings for your 32-bit application?
    I'm searching all over the web for IIS 7 and proxy settings but can't find anything else than third-party softwares specific settings, or how to configure proxy settings for IExplorer or FireFox but never anything IIS-only related.
    I was thinking about finding the 64-bit apps proxy settings to replicate them, but I didn't find nothing proxy-related in the many config files of IIS 7.
    Thanks in advance,
    best regards
    Monday, February 23, 2009 10:26 AM
  • From the SOAP Toolkit 3.0 download page:

Overview

The Microsoft SOAP Toolkit is deprecated by the .NET Framework. The toolkit provides basic Web services capabilities for COM components and applications. SOAP Toolkit support has been extended from the originally posted July 1, 2004 deadline. Mainstream SOAP Toolkit support will now be retired in March 31, 2005 with extended support lasting until March 31, 2008 .

To obtain the redistributable files for the SOAP Toolkit 3.0, visit this Microsoft Web site: SOAP Toolkit 3.0 Redistributable

For the latest on supported technologies for developing Web services, visit the Web Services Developer Center on MSDN.

System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 98; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP
    • Windows Installer version 2.0 or later is required for installation.
    • The SOAP client objects will run on Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 Service Pack 1, Windows XP, and Windows 2003.
    • Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 and require IIS to be installed.
    • It is generally recommended not to use SOAP Toolkit on Windows 2003. There is limited support for this scenario when migrating existing applications on previous versions of Windows to Windows 2003. No new development should be done with SOAP Toolkit. Existing applications built on SOAP Toolkit should be migrated to a .Net based solution as quickly as possible.

Notes: It is already unsupported: the Extended Support period is over. It has never been supported on Windows Vista, or Server 2008.

If your application matters to you, get it ported to WCF. Note that it's possible to use C# or VB.NET to write a COM component that will use WCF to call the same web service that you called from SOAP Toolkit. It is not necessary to upgrade your entire application simply to remove the SOAP Toolkit.

John Saunders
    WCF is Web Services. They are not two separate things.
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of legacy ASMX or obsolete WSE
    Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:04 PM

What do you mean with "the proxy settings for 32-bit applications were not set"? Or better: how did you set those settings for your 32-bit application?
    I'm searching all over the web for IIS 7 and proxy settings but can't find anything else than third-party softwares specific settings, or how to configure

I think Mattias means the setting of the application pool. if you are running a 64bit server with iis 7 on it, and want to run old webservices which were designed on 32 bit systems with soap toolkit you have to enable the 32 bit support on your application pool.

1. open advanced settings of the application pool of your application
    2. set "Enable 32-bit applications" to "true"

bg Andrej

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:36 PM