none
OneSyncSvc_278cba0 in Windows Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• My server dashboard always report that there is a service called "Sync Host_278cba0" is stopped, when I try to set the service start type to "manual", an error "The parameter is incorrect".

Please see the picture:

As I know this service works for sync mail, pictures, message or other things, my server doesn't need to sync such things, could I uninstall this service?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:30 AM

Answers

• I've been getting past it on my 2016 servers by using regedit.  go to Hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\onesyncsvc and there will be another onesyncsvc_xxxxxx which will be a random hex code, different on each server.

Even though the error only shows the one with the hex code as a red error in server manager on my servers, I found I had to disable them BOTH in the registry, otherwise the one with the hex code, when disabled, just kept re-enabling itself.

Go to the "START" settings, and edit it.  It's defaulted to 2, setting it to 4 disables the service outright.

Also, you may find the same kind of issue with the maps broker service - and the fix I've done is  the same.

The downside is part of the "desktop experience" - this is all the junk that MS now adds to a server by default.  I haven't dug enough to find out if there's a way to prevent it from doing so if you do other than the core install, but I really hate how they're trying to add all this crap to a server.  It's a server, NOT a workstation, so even the desktop experience brings enough overhead with it, we don't need client-centric junk being here by default...  Most people like a server to be more streamlined...

I won't be surprised though if it reverts after an update, and has to be done again...

And technically you could probably delete it here in the registry and totally remove the service, but I always preferred to disable something rather than lobotomizing it, in case there ends up being a reason that I'd have to have it at some point down the road...

Hope this helps.

John

• Edited by jdthird Monday, February 13, 2017 4:15 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by William A Wang Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:56 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 4:12 PM

All replies

• Is there any further news about this issue? It seems to be a common issue, but not addressed by Microsoft why it is showing up as an error, or why it is even present on a server.
    Friday, February 10, 2017 3:58 PM
  • I am facing the same issue!
    Monday, February 13, 2017 7:06 AM
  • I've been getting past it on my 2016 servers by using regedit.  go to Hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\onesyncsvc and there will be another onesyncsvc_xxxxxx which will be a random hex code, different on each server.

Even though the error only shows the one with the hex code as a red error in server manager on my servers, I found I had to disable them BOTH in the registry, otherwise the one with the hex code, when disabled, just kept re-enabling itself.

Go to the "START" settings, and edit it.  It's defaulted to 2, setting it to 4 disables the service outright.

Also, you may find the same kind of issue with the maps broker service - and the fix I've done is  the same.

The downside is part of the "desktop experience" - this is all the junk that MS now adds to a server by default.  I haven't dug enough to find out if there's a way to prevent it from doing so if you do other than the core install, but I really hate how they're trying to add all this crap to a server.  It's a server, NOT a workstation, so even the desktop experience brings enough overhead with it, we don't need client-centric junk being here by default...  Most people like a server to be more streamlined...

I won't be surprised though if it reverts after an update, and has to be done again...

And technically you could probably delete it here in the registry and totally remove the service, but I always preferred to disable something rather than lobotomizing it, in case there ends up being a reason that I'd have to have it at some point down the road...

Hope this helps.

John

• Edited by jdthird Monday, February 13, 2017 4:15 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by William A Wang Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:56 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 4:12 PM
  • Thanks, John.

I'd set START to 0, and also worked for me.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 8:52 AM
  • This is super annoying and I touch a lot of servers so I wrote a PS script to handle it (run from elevated PS prompt):

Set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MapsBroker' -Name Start -Value 4
    $onesync = (Get-ChildItem 'HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Services' | ?{$_.PSChildName -like "OneSync*"}).Name
    $here = Get-Location
    cd HKLM:\
    ForEach($sync in $onesync) {
        Set-ItemProperty -Path $sync -Name Start -Value 4
    }
    cd $here
    Get-Service OneSync* | Stop-Service -Force
    Get-Service MapsBroker | Stop-Service -Force

• Proposed as answer by Simon Tauber Friday, October 19, 2018 6:47 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:06 PM
  • The best thing in ALL of that garbage and googling (I spent a lot of time already trying to fix this behavior of the Dashboard) - is that the OneSyncSvc service is WORKING CORRECTLY, according to its settings.

Each time a user logging in the instance of the service created, with unique GUID and Automatic (Delayed start).

For example, the user is YOU. And your Dashboard start immediately, scans that it scans - and reports to you about Stopped state of the service. Of course, it didn't start yet!

So if you make refresh after a minute - red colors will be gone from dashboard. Users logging constantly, so the red marks associated with this service comes ans goes constantly.

• Edited by Bateks Wednesday, August 1, 2018 8:33 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 8:24 AM
  • @Bateks: but that is only for the OneSyncSvc.. The MapsBroker is most of the time stopped and therefore a red mark is shown..

Thanks Tim for the PS-Script!

Regards
    Simon

Friday, October 19, 2018 6:47 AM