Performance Monitor: Missing Logical & Physical Disk Counters RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Windows 2008 server running SP1 that is missing all Logical Disk & Physical Disk counters. I've tried running the following at cmd prompt:

1) c:\WMIADAP /F
    2) c:\Windows\System32 LODCTR /R
    3) c:\DiskPerf -Y

None of these commands has resolved the problem. I'm not too surprised since they really apply to Win2K & Win2K3, but I cannot seem to find any information pertaining to this issue on Win2K8. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Wolfgang

Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:05 PM

All replies

• Two of my Win2K8 servers were missing both the LogicalDisk and PhysicalDisk counters in PerfMon. I tried running the Win2K & Win2K3 command line switches for enabling disk counters, to no avail. Then I discovered the Win2K8 solution on a forum. Basically, there is a reg key value in HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/PerfDisk/Performance called  Disable Performance Counters that when enabled will prevent the disk counters from appearing in PerfMon.

Simply disable the key with a value of '0' and the counters will appear.

Monday, December 7, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Bingo! This fixed the problem for me immediatyely. Did not require a reboot or anything.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:29 PM
  • Also worked for me. I was using NSClient++ and I needed to restart that service for NSClient++ to see the counters once I changed the registry setting.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:11 PM
  • Thank You! You saved me time and time is money!  All else failed. This worked!

HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/PerfDisk/Performance called  Disable Performance Counters that when enabled will prevent the disk counters from appearing in PerfMon.

Simply disable the key with a value of '0' and the counters will appear.

Monday, September 17, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Why would  Microsoft disable these counters in PerfMon in the first place?  Could simply monitoring those counters degrade performance in anyway??
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:16 AM
  • I am missing these counters in SCOM2012, though I see them in perfmonitor..

All suggestions implemented, results NILL !!

Anybody another suggestion please?

Gurgling ( Extended Googling :-P) the internet doesn't give me any :-(

• Edited by ervedeka Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:39 AM (adding extra info)
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:36 AM