none
Azure VM Network Bandwidth

Question

• I am looking to find out what restrictions are placed on Network bandwidth on various VM sizes.

Is there a table available detailing this instead of medium,high,extremely high? Is the restriction applied to both inbound and Outbound?

Any help much appreciated.

Monday, December 12, 2016 4:33 PM

All replies

• Hi

Base on my knowledge, there is not a fixed value of network bandwidth. Actually maximum network bandwidth is the maximum aggregated bandwidth allocated and assigned per VM type. The maximum bandwidth provides guidance for selecting the right VM type to ensure adequate network capacity is available. When moving between Low, Moderate, High and Very High, the throughput will increase accordingly. Actual network performance will depend on many factors including network and application loads, and application network settings.

One customer used iPerf to try to get a feel for the network performance between two instances of the same size. Here are his results about network bandwidth:

DS1 = ~741 Mbps DS2=~1.5 Gbps DS3-DS5 = ~2.8 Gbps DS11=1.5 Gbps DS12=~2.6 Gbps DS13-15 = ~2.8 Gbps

There definitely seems to me 3 levels, but they don't seem to match what is advertised. It looks like some VMs advertised as "High" are getting speeds comparable to "extremely high". There might have been a performance increase that just has not been documented yet. And of course they don't actually advertised these speeds since the network is shared and your results may vary, but at least you have a general idea of what to expect.

Moderate ~750 Mbps High ~1.5 Gbps Extremely High ~ 3 Gbps

If you still have questions, welcome to post back here. Thanks.

Regards,

Walter                                                                           

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:39 AM
  • Hi Walter,

Thank you for the information does the restriction apply to both Network In and Network Out?  I did read on a forum that Microsoft were going to add the bandwidth to the VM sizes but I've not seen any updates to documentation yet.

Regards Yendis

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:43 AM
  • Hi

Yes, this applies to both Network In and Network Out. I don't think Azure would provide fixed value of bandwidth for VM. Because actual network performance will depend on many factors including network and application loads, and application network settings.

More information please refer to the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/virtual-machines-windows-sizes

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:47 AM
  • You can always run a few of your own tests, but be sure to use the latest optimizations see: 

https://azure-in-action.blog/2017/01/01/azure-vm-network-bandwidth-tests/

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:57 PM