none
USB V4 printer driver fails to deploy with Win10

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to develop a V4 printer driver and I am getting errors deploying to the remote target. I have tried several target systems and eventually bought a new PC and did a clean install. I could then deploy the driver but since then I have only managed to re-deploy it once or twice. The usual error is 

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BE): The remote procedure call failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BE)

but I have also had

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706D9): There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.

Where do I start tracing the RPC failure? 

Monday, May 13, 2019 3:15 PM

Answers

• The problem lay in the GPD file. I haven't discovered what was wrong but reverting to a vanilla GPD (incorrect for the printer I am using) allowed the driver to install. I am now in the process of modifying the GPD file one item at a time until I achieve the desired paper size etc
    • Marked as answer by ChrisBlood Wednesday, May 22, 2019 4:56 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 4:56 PM

All replies

• Regarding 0x800706D9, the only reference I found my logs

is

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706D9): In der Endpunktzuordnung sind keine weiteren Endpunkte verfügbar. 
    (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x800706D9) bei 
    Microsoft.DriverKit.DefaultPrinterDriverPackageInstallationClass.InstallPrinterDriverFromPackage
    (String server, String infPath, String driverName, String environment, UInt32 flags) 
    bei Microsoft.DriverKit.DefaultPrinterDriverPackageInstallationClass.PerformDefaultPrinterDriverPackageInstallation()

which looks late for me. Alas, do not remember the cause. Unsure, maybe some spooler (spoolsv.exe) thing.
    So would look, if the driver will install manually with
    'printmanagement.msc'.

With kind regards

Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:58 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback. The crash on the target PC was in module PrintConfig.dll in process spoolsv.exe. If I try to install the driver manually with printmanagement.msc then I get a protection fault (exception 0xc0000005) which I think is the same thing.
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 10:36 AM
  • The problem lay in the GPD file. I haven't discovered what was wrong but reverting to a vanilla GPD (incorrect for the printer I am using) allowed the driver to install. I am now in the process of modifying the GPD file one item at a time until I achieve the desired paper size etc
    • Marked as answer by ChrisBlood Wednesday, May 22, 2019 4:56 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 4:56 PM