none
USB V4 printer driver tutorial doesn't deploy with Win10

Question

• Following the tutorial and when Stamping the INF file it reports  warning 1296: Specified service not associated with hardware . The description of this is "This warning appears starting in Windows 10, version 1809, and indicates that the hardware does not have an associated service using the specified install section."

If the warning is ignored, then the driver fails deployment with the error WDTF_TEST: System has no device the driver package can be installed onto.

1. How do I resolve Warning 1296

2. If that is resolved, will that also resolve the deployment issue?

Thanks,

Chris

Thursday, April 18, 2019 2:04 PM

Answers

• 'AddService' is listed at
    INF Restrictions
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/print/v4-driver-inf

"WDTF_TEST                 :  System has no device the driver package can  be installed onto."
    could have other reason(s), e.g. when you choose 
    'Default Driver Package Installation Task'
    instead of

With kind regards
    • Marked as answer by ChrisBlood Monday, April 29, 2019 1:27 PM
    Saturday, April 20, 2019 1:51 PM

All replies

• I have found more information on Warning 1296 on a different page:- docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/inf-validation-errors-and-warnings#syntax-in-the-inf-file-1100-1299

Starting in Windows 10, version 1809, this has changed from a Warning to an Error. The .Services sections are required for each defined target OS. 

Following the example I created a services section that included 

Include=usbprint.sys

This resulted in an error :-

Error 8630 (DE22.23.8630) Services may not be added.  Value must be "AddService= , 0x2"

If I add AddService=,0x2 I get the following error:-

Error 8611 (DE22.23.8611) INF contains banned directive ADDSERVICE which is not allowed in this INF

Friday, April 19, 2019 4:28 PM
  • 'AddService' is listed at
    INF Restrictions
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/print/v4-driver-inf

"WDTF_TEST                 :  System has no device the driver package can  be installed onto."
    could have other reason(s), e.g. when you choose 
    'Default Driver Package Installation Task'
    instead of

With kind regards
    • Marked as answer by ChrisBlood Monday, April 29, 2019 1:27 PM
    Saturday, April 20, 2019 1:51 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion - that has made a difference. And once I figured out the name in deployment Optional Arguments is the name in [Standard.NT$ARCH$] I have managed to deploy the driver.

Thanks for your help

Sunday, April 28, 2019 6:38 PM
  • ... warning 1296: Specified service not associated with hardware . The description of this is "This warning appears starting in Windows 10, version 1809, and indicates that the hardware does not have an associated service using the specified install section."

1. How do I resolve Warning 1296

Interesting point.

Reason seems to be that Visual Studio (2017) is doing 2 two tests on printer inf file:
    On the one hand 'infverif' requests an  'INF DDInstall.Services Section':
    WARNING(1296) in C:\Developer\PrinterPipeline\PrinterPipeline\PrinterPipeline.inf, 
    line 25: Hardware 'Fabrikam Super' does not have an associated service using install section 'DriverInstall'.

While, on the other hand 'INFGate', when adding 'INF DDInstall.Services Section' shows error:
    [DriverInstall.Services]
    AddService = ,0x2
    ; (DE22.23.8611) INF contains banned directive ADDSERVICE which is not allowed in this INF

If not done already - I am not quite up to date - maybe someone from MS can look into this.

With kind regards

Thursday, May 16, 2019 9:34 AM