none
Accessing ACPI battery object RRS feed

• Question

• I hope I found the correct forum for this question. Please point me to another forum if this is in the wrong location.

I would like to access the ACPI battery object to actively obtain the battery discharge rate. I found an MS Docs page that discusses the ACPI battery and power object: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/acpi-battery-and-power-subsystem-firmware-implementation#acpi-power-supply-object. Within that page there is the Battery present rate (battery charge/discharge rate in milliwatts), which is exactly what I want. In the referenced ACPI 5.0 specification it is called Power Meter Measurement (_PMM).

Currently I have no idea on how to obtain this value. I have a background in programming C for embedded microcontrollers, Python, Matlab, and some PowerShell, so I can dig through documentation once I see an example. Does anybody know of tutorials or examples for working with ACPI libraries?

I have tried out BatteryBar and HWiNFO. Both of them report the battery discharge rate, so I'm fairly certain my laptop's battery has this capability or another way of calculating it. So how do those programs access the ACPI battery information?

Thank you for any help!

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:11 PM