none
Chaging Network Interface name in KMDF Driver. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

I am working on a Network wireless KMDF driver. When i connect multiple adapters to PC, under network connections, i can see the network interfaces with Wi-fi-1, Wi-fi-2 and so on names. But i wanted to change them according to the adapter's ID/MAC address. Is there any means to change them using KMDF driver during initialization process. Any clue on it would be helpful.

Thank You.
    Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:52 PM

Answers

• The network interface names belong to the end-user, not the driver.  There's not a mechanism for the driver to rename the network interfaces.
    Friday, August 23, 2019 3:34 PM
  • That's not the Windows model.  The concept is that information like that should be abstracted.  The user shouldn't need to worry about those technical details.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 6:44 PM

All replies

• That's not the Windows model.  The concept is that information like that should be abstracted.  The user shouldn't need to worry about those technical details.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 6:44 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, The point is to differentiate the multiple adapters in the network connections, There are ways to achieve it through  as mentioned in this link https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/106456-rename-network-adapter-windows.html . I need the same to be achieved during the respective driver init process. 

• Edited by RaghuGS Friday, August 23, 2019 6:05 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2019 4:20 AM
  • The network interface names belong to the end-user, not the driver.  There's not a mechanism for the driver to rename the network interfaces.
    Friday, August 23, 2019 3:34 PM
  • Thank you all for the responses.
    Monday, August 26, 2019 10:10 AM