none
Questions about the inf files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My first question is: Is plist on Mac the same as inf file on Windows?

I'm writing a controller for a micro controller connected through a USB cable to a Windows 7 machine. Using the WDK10(CreateFile, WriteFile). When I go in Device Manager->Other Devices->Micro I Device status I have: The drivers for this device are not installed.(Code 28). It also appears(when I plug in the cable) in Device Manager-> USB controllers->USB Composite Device, but there it says the device is properly installed. Also in Details(in the USB composite device)->Inf name I have a usb.inf. 

In my code I was able to detect the usb and create a file, but when I call  SetCommState() I get an ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION

Is this because I haven't created a info file? Or do I also need to do something else? How can I see the device has already an inf file? 

Thanks

Friday, July 29, 2016 3:10 PM

Answers

• You need to provide a driver for this "micro controller". It appears to be a composite USB device, and Windows handles the "composite" part of it. You need to provide the driver for serial port emulation function, if this is how your device should work. If this serial function is implemented per USB CDC standard, it may be as easy as providing INF file for in-box Windows driver. Or it may require a custom driver. We don't know. Anyway, an OS/X plist file is useless on Windows.

-- pa

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:24 PM

All replies

• I am not a Mac guy, but I thought plist was primarily a program's attributes, while in your context an INF file is for installing a device.

The device manager is reporting correctly that Micro I Device is not installed.  When you talk about the USB Composite Device, I suspect your device is appearing as a composite USB device to the system but for each individual device as part of the composite you need a driver, what the USB Composite Device is indicating is that the driver that breaks the composite device into individual devices is properly installed.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:20 PM
  • You need to provide a driver for this "micro controller". It appears to be a composite USB device, and Windows handles the "composite" part of it. You need to provide the driver for serial port emulation function, if this is how your device should work. If this serial function is implemented per USB CDC standard, it may be as easy as providing INF file for in-box Windows driver. Or it may require a custom driver. We don't know. Anyway, an OS/X plist file is useless on Windows.

-- pa

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:24 PM