none
Unable to install sample (Toaster) or template drivers RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, please excuse the cross-post.  I've already asked this in the WDK samples github issues with no response - it's pretty mush a ghost town there.  I assume driver development isn't as popular as some other technology domains!

Also, since this post, I've tried additional things to get some action going, all to no avail - I've included my additional activity at the end of this post:

--- Unable to install drivers compiled on my machine ---

I hope I'm just missing something fairly obvious (I'm brand new to driver development) but I've read a LOT of the documentation and still can't find a solution.

Problem: I can build the driver examples and templates, but when I try to install the resulting driver it always fails.
    devcon simply reports "driver failed"
    Right-Install the .INF, or PNPUTIL both result in "A problem was encountered while adding the driver to the store".

I believe this is related to signing.
    I have checked that Test Signing is enabled, and the build output says it has successfully signed and created the security .cat file. (The cat file lists a certificate with my name on it, so I believe Visual Studio has generated a cert for me correctly)

I'm using:

• Windows 10.0.17763
    • Visual Studio Community 2019
    • WDK 1903
      (same issue whether I build for Win32 or x64)
    • I'm trying to test on my local machine, so no remote certificate exchange shenanigans

My understanding is that I should be able to run drivers for development with this Test cert, but something's not right.

The setupapi.dev.log includes the line:
    ! sig: Error 0x800b0109: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.

And ultimately fails...
    How do I tell Windows to let me try a freakin' sample?! (I don't really want to turn off driver signing checks).

Like I say, I hope I'm missing something obvious, so can anyone suggest where I'm going wrong?

--- Additional ---

I've also read up on the MSDN Driver Signing, Creating Test Certificates and went through the process of creating the Contoso.com(Test) certificate.  I installed this... and still no joy.

I then tried to install the certificate from the .cat file created by the Toaster sample.  It's quite possible that I'm installing the certificates in the wrong place, but still no joy, and the documentation does assume a better understanding of where certificates live/how to validate/etc. than I currently have,

Any pointers to steps to diagnose and resolve my issue would be gratefully received.

Monday, August 19, 2019 8:59 AM

Answers

• You're certain you've turned test signing on with bcdedit?  Do you see the "test mode" badge in the corner?

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by Oliver Hall Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:02 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2019 5:59 PM

All replies

• You're certain you've turned test signing on with bcdedit?  Do you see the "test mode" badge in the corner?

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by Oliver Hall Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:02 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2019 5:59 PM
  • Thanks Tim,

That was it.

I know there's no excuse for RTFM, but - seriously - why can't there be a quick "Before you'll be able to run driver samples, make sure you've done the following..." one-pager in MSDN rather than this ESSENTIAL one line command being squirrelled away under:

Docs/Windows Hardware/Windows Drivers/Install/Concepts/Driver Signing/Enable Loading of Test Signed Drivers

Obvious when it's right in front of you... not so easy to browse to.

Thanks again Tim.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:02 AM