none
Windows 7 and SimpleMAPI RRS feed

• Question

• I have several applications that make use of Simple MAPI to send emails. They all work fine on XP and Vista but have stopped working on Windows 7. The problem is MAPIResolveName which always returns 0x80004005 even when the recipient details have been filled in. As a temporary measure I ignore that specific error code when running on Windows 7 and the Outlook 2007 / Windows Live Mail new message dialog is displayed as expected with the recipient details filled in. Can anyone suggest why that particular function is failing with error code 0x80004005?
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:36 AM

Answers

• We have a stable in-house application that makes MAPI calls and it was failing on some Windows 7 x64 systems.  Installing the hotfix mentioned in this knowledge base article solved our problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980681

Although the description sounds like a problem specific to Word, this note claims it is quite general.

Note This issue also occurs for a MAPI-based e-mail client other than Microsoft Outlook.

The failed MAPI calls were returning the following error before the hotfix.

MAPI_E_CALL_FAILED 80004005 -2147467259

Friday, May 14, 2010 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hello Steve,

As said in the documentation,

"Simple MAPI is no longer supported in Microsoft Outlook 2007. It is still supported by Exchange Server 2003."

It's better that you try with the Extended MAPI.

Thanks,
    Rong-Chun Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:08 AM
  • Simple MAPI has been working fine for the last couple of years on XP and Vista. It's only MAPIResolveName() on Windows 7 that's broken and if I check for that specific error code I don't have a problem.

Does extended MAPI support mail clients other than Outlook such as Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Hello Steve,

The Messaging Application Program Interface (MAPI), known as Extended MAPI, is an extensive set of functions that allows complete control over the messaging system on the client computer, creation and management of messages, management of the client mailbox, service providers, and so forth.  And the simpe MAPI is a subset of 12 functions, which enable developers to add basic messaging functionality to their Windows-based applications.

More information.

Thanks,
    Rong-Chun Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:05 AM
  • I'm guessing there is no such mapping but what I really need is a list of replacements for the 12 simple MAPI functions.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:23 PM
  • We have a stable in-house application that makes MAPI calls and it was failing on some Windows 7 x64 systems.  Installing the hotfix mentioned in this knowledge base article solved our problem.

Although the description sounds like a problem specific to Word, this note claims it is quite general.

Note This issue also occurs for a MAPI-based e-mail client other than Microsoft Outlook.

The failed MAPI calls were returning the following error before the hotfix.

MAPI_E_CALL_FAILED 80004005 -2147467259

Friday, May 14, 2010 8:07 PM
  • Thanks for the info. I've just tried the hot and it's worked on both my installs, Win7 x64 Ultimate + Office 2007 and Win2K8 R2 + Office 2010.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 11:44 PM
  • It work also in our end, were using PB on Win7 x86 + Office 2010

Thanks

Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Hi, I tried with the link

but the password I received with the mail is incorrect is that possible???

thanksss

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi, Rong-Chun:

I noticed that you have been helping peopel with MAPI problems.

I posted another question regarding MAPISendMail crashing programs on some (Note: not all) Windows 7 x64 systems with MicroSoft Office 2007. I wonder whether you can take a look and offer some insight:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vclanguage/thread/91829707-9f57-446e-99fa-74dd07968bd5

Thansk a lot,

Friday, May 6, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Hi,

Our application is running in ADMIN Mode (Run as Administrator) in Windows 7 64 bit machine. Application internally calls MAPISendMail (IN C#) which will open up Outlook Message Box
    and user will have to click Send Button to send mail. This works fine if user has opened his Outlook in ADMIN mode , but if Outlook client is running in standard user mode, Outlook Message Box is not getting opened.

Please let me know how can our application running in Admin mode can call an API which will send a mail from outlook which is already running in Standard Mode?. Is there any solution?

Thank you

-Veeresh

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:57 AM
  • Hi, I have several VB6 application working with MSMAPI32.ocx and it don't work since Windows 7 (with XP and early,  worked). When I try to send a message it says: "Impossible to determine the default email client" and then the 48389 error appears.

I downloaded the fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980681, but when I try to install it 

I receive this message: "Impossible to apply the updating".

Any ideas?

Riccardo

Friday, June 14, 2013 3:47 PM
  • I also received the same error message when trying to move a mailbox via active directory exchange tasks option on a workstation.

I resolved my issue with simply replacing the existing mapi32.dll in my machine's C:Windows\System32 with the mapi32.dll from a machine that did not have the issue. I closed all programs like Outlook, and with my admin credentials, I renamed the machine's mapi32.dll to OLDmapi32.dll before copying the other machine's mapi32.dll from the other machine.

I don't know if this will resolve your issue but it certainly resolved mine.

Joseph Moran

Friday, October 11, 2013 2:59 PM