none
The system cannot execute the specified program RRS feed

• Question

• I wrote small sample program in VC++ 2008 SP1.

this test program is successfully compiled & executed in my windows XP.  But the same is not working when i copied & executing this exe into windows 2003 machine.

At command prompt it shows "The system cannot execute the specified program"

Thorugh dependacy walker I rechecked the DLLs and copied those into the same folder where executable file exists.

Some one plz let me know what might be issue here

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:34 AM

Answers

• Please don't transliterate errors. If you want to get the best help, please give the exact error messages.

If the error is a Side by Side configuration error. First, make sure that you are copying the release configuration of the program. Second make sure the computer you are running it on has the latest version of the VC2008 redist installed on it.

If it isn't down to the the side by side configuration, you really need to give a better explantation of the problem.

Visit my (not very good) blog at http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:35 PM

All replies

• Please don't transliterate errors. If you want to get the best help, please give the exact error messages.

If the error is a Side by Side configuration error. First, make sure that you are copying the release configuration of the program. Second make sure the computer you are running it on has the latest version of the VC2008 redist installed on it.

If it isn't down to the the side by side configuration, you really need to give a better explantation of the problem.

Visit my (not very good) blog at http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:35 PM
  • i didn't tansliterate errors. when i run my exe, it showing that error.

what is side by side configuration error?

I am sure that i am using release version of the executable.

Development machine: is installed with VC++2008 SP1(windows XP)

Test machine:              nothing installed anything to VC/studio(windows 2003 SP2)

Thanks for the response. After installing from VC2008 redist link, my executable is working fine.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:26 PM
  • Actually, the problem he is experiencing would be 'linking portability' issues. I too am having this issue.

The problem is when you use one computer to generate your code onto, then copy the executable onto another (x86 WinX presumably) computer and It won't execute however instead giving this error:

The system cannot execute the specified program.

Why is that. Can anyone solve this?

Monday, July 26, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Well, okay. None of the *Gurus* couldn't find the ans for you...

Inside Visual Studio 2008:

Click Build > Configuration Manager

Under Configuration Change it from 'Debug' to 'Release'

Click close.

Also works under 2005 and after doing so you'll have to copy it from your "Release folder" onto your jump drive and yady-yadda works yaaah. Remember, don't use the 'Debug folder' one.

• Proposed as answer by _UART_ Monday, July 26, 2010 9:45 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:45 PM