Skip to main content

none
DF-PNP Surprise Remove Device Test + Network Adapter failure due to open handles (Svr2019/HLK1809) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm testing a network adapter on Server 2019 with HLK1809, and the DF-PNP Surprise Remove Device Test is failing due to a failure to receive a REMOVE_DEVICE after SURPRISE_REMOVE, because the device has open handles. I've confirmed this by tracing all DispatchCreate/Close calls, and there is at least 6 unmatched Create/Close.

The same device and driver pass under Server2016 with HLK1607 and Win10(1803) with HLK1803 (In fact, the driver I'm testing is the WHQL certified driver from Windows Update)

Is this an issue with the test? or is there another component in Windows that would be holding onto the device?

Friday, December 7, 2018 3:18 PM

All replies

• I've traced the DISPATCH_CREATE and DISPATCH_CLOSE IRPs, and there is 6 creates at the start of the test, and no corresponding closes. All other operations seem to issue a create then close shortly (<1sec) afterwards.

Is the test holding the device handles open?

Could this be the same sort of failure as here https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/c4ab0a20-e3e1-40a2-a1f6-70b8352145c9/report-a-rs5-hlk-error?forum=whck

Monday, December 10, 2018 1:25 PM
  • Hello,

I believe what your seeing is an issue with the HLK gatherer for network devices under test. Please contact CSS for assistance and reference Errata 40774 as there is an updated binary for this issue.

CSS can be reached:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?wf=0&tenant=classiccommercial&oaspworkflow=start_1.0.0.0&locale=en-us&supportregion=en-us&pesid=15720&forceorigin=esmc&ccsid=636800624497245965

Monday, December 10, 2018 6:16 PM
  • Hi,

Is there a place we can download the fixed binary without issuing an incident first?

We need to first overcome an issue that we have with using our budget of incidents and we need to complete the cycle on Windows 10 RS5 and Server 2019 ASAP.

I fail to understand why there is a need to open an incident first, if you know that there is a problem with the test.

Thanks,

Sagi

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 11:56 AM
  • At this time there isn't a place to download the fixed binary. The CSS case will be free of charge due to the issue being Microsoft test binary. 
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:30 PM
  • Hi Owen-Smith,

DO you got solution for this issue?

THanks in advance

shaikshavali.shaik

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 12:23 PM