none
Volume Shadow Copy Service on 64bit OSes (Vista x64 & Windows 7 x64) from 32-bit process. RRS feed

• Question

• Problem description:  cannot use Volume Shadow Copy Service on 64bit OSes (Vista x64 & Windows 7 x64) from 32-bit process.

Test 32-bit program was build using Windows7 SDK.  Here it’s logs:

// on Vista x64:

CoInitialize(NULL) OK

CreateVssBackupComponents() OK

InitializeForBackup() failed, 0x8000FFFF                 // E_UNEXPECTED

// on Windows7 x64:

CoInitialize(NULL) OK

CreateVssBackupComponents() OK

InitializeForBackup() failed, 0x80042302                 // VSS_E_UNEXPECTED

The same program, built with Windows7 SDK for 64-bit, works fine both on Vista and Windows 7  x64.

After test program failed, there were  some error messages in the Applications log (Event Viewer/windows logs/Application):

EventID 8193             // on Windows7 & Vista

«Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered . Operation: Instantiating VSS server»

EventID 22                 // on Windows 7

«Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80040154, Class not registered ]. Operation: Instantiating VSS server»

EventID 32                 // on Vista x64

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The VSS Coordinator class is not registered. This may be caused due to a setup failure or as a result of an application's installer or uninstaller. Operation: Instantiating VSS server

The question: is it possible to use VSS from 32-bit process on 64-bit OS? How can we do that?

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:35 AM

Answers

• I recieved answer from MS Saying that this is not possible, and only x64 processes can use that service.
    • Marked as answer by Oleg.Andr Tuesday, November 3, 2009 10:43 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 10:42 AM

All replies

• I hope the answer is as clear as your question.
    Software to help you build a better store
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:19 PM
  • i got the same error trying to use VMware Converter 4.0 on windows 7 64 bit system
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 4:40 AM
  • I recieved answer from MS Saying that this is not possible, and only x64 processes can use that service.
    • Marked as answer by Oleg.Andr Tuesday, November 3, 2009 10:43 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 10:42 AM
  • Sorry but I'm not fully understanding this thread ... I too seem to have VSS errors throughout my event log but I'm not clear on what, if anything I can do. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and the get following to entries in my event log. Event ID's are 22 and 8193.

Message 1:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80040154, Class not registered
    ].

Message 2:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered

Operation:
       Instantiating VSS server
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:18 AM
  • Sorry but I'm not fully understanding this thread ... I too seem to have VSS errors throughout my event log but I'm not clear on what, if anything I can do. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and the get following to entries in my event log. Event ID's are 22 and 8193.

Message 1:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80040154, Class not registered
    ].

Message 2:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered

Operation:
       Instantiating VSS server

Just to add my $0.02 as well, I too have exactly the same issue with 64 bit Ultimate.  I noticed I had an issue when the Restore function didn't work properly.

I get the error when running VSSADMIN list writers. 

I also get CAPI2 errors on boot up: Event ID 513 which also seems to point to permissions errors.

Running SubInACL has not worked, in fact it screwed up my services permission to the extent that the firewall would not load.  Fortunatley WHS backup was on hand to restore to an earlier system backup.

I've run the folllowing to re-register VSS but I get errors.

cd /d %windir%\system32
    Net stop vss
    Net stop swprv
    regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    vssvc /register
    regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
    regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 es.dll
    regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 vssui.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll

The following will not load:
    swprv.dll
    eventcls.dll
    es.dll
    vssui.dll
    msxml.dll

Any ideas anyone?

Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:30 AM
  • I recently worked with VSS and had these problems.  The first problem, "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered . Operation: Instantiating VSS server" was caused because the "COM+ System Application" service was not started.

The 2nd problem "A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider." was caused because I was compiling and running a Win32 program on a 64-bit version of Windows.  I had to change it to x64 as stated in the documentation:

"All 32-bit VSS applications (requesters, providers, and writers) must run as native 32-bit or 64-bit applications. Running them under WOW64 is not supported. "
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 10:56 PM
  • Thanks.

COM+ System Application is set to Automatic, but it does start OK if I manually set it going.  I'll put the VSS services to delayed start.

I am not running 32bit software which uses VSS that I am aware of.  I cannot even run VSSADMIN List Writers to fnd out what VSS apps are installed.
    • Proposed as answer by rmasuda Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:58 AM
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:59 AM
  • Assuming for a moment that I am running a 32-bit application under WOW64 and this is the source of my errors ... is there any way to find out what application is the one causing these errors?
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:28 AM
  • If you know approximately when it is happening you can run Process Monitor and find out the exact process.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Well, I ran Procmon whilst running VSSAdmin List Writers.

These are the list of "32bit" architecture programs that were called up....

C:\Windows\System32\wow64.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\wow64cpu.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\wow64log.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\wow64win.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atl.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptsp.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dsrole.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\es.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\eventcls.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msi.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiltcfg.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msxml3.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msxml3r.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\netutils.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\propsys.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RpcRtRemote.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcss.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rsaenh.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\samcli.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\samlib.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sxs.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vss_ps.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vssapi.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vsstrace.dll

Something doesn't seem right.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:38 PM
  • It looks like a 32-bit app running on a 64-bit OS to me, which is not allowed.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:54 PM
  • I am getting this exact same pair of errors and am also using Windows 7 64 bit (upgraded from Vista)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:43 AM
  • So are you sure you're compiling your program under the "x64" platform?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:11 AM
  • I am not compiling anything; I've just installed "regular off-the-shelf" software.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:30 AM
  • I guess your software isn't compatible with 64-bit OSes.  I would contact the company if I were you.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:23 PM
  • I too am just using pretty basic software (e.g., Office, some Adobe programs, etc.). All the software I'm using runs correctly in operation too.

What I'd like to be able to do is identify which program is the offending program. Is there any way to do this?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Process Monitor.  Look for the VSS*.dll files being loaded that Mr Incredible showed above.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:53 PM
  • I guess your software isn't compatible with 64-bit OSes.  I would contact the company if I were you.

If you look at the dlls you'll see they are most if not all Windows system dlls.  Like:

Unless the programs/Procman are not exchanging "type" properly.  I find it hard to believe that on a 64bit OS they'd be running a 32bit shadow copy service (vss_ps.dll)

(Ignore the XPCLient and NT-Win32 bit as I just did a capture for the main function).

Only a MS install would put that DLL into the pot.  So why is it a 32 bit VSS Shadow Copy under 64 bit?  If it is I think this is a major problem!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:23 PM

If you look at the dlls you'll see they are most if not all Windows system dlls.  Like:

Unless the programs/Procman are not exchanging "type" properly.  I find it hard to believe that on a 64bit OS they'd be running a 32bit shadow copy service (vss_ps.dll)

I'm having the same problem, but I'd like to clear something up:

All drivers in SysWOW64 are 32 bit drivers.  That's by design.  WOW64 stands for Windows on Windows x64.

It's certainly counter intuitive, and I think it'd make far more sense to call it System 32, but the bottom line is those drivers are supposed to be 32 bit....which doesn't mean that those drivers aren't causing a problem.

I've run the folllowing to re-register VSS but I get errors.

cd /d %windir%\system32
    Net stop vss
    Net stop swprv
    regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    vssvc /register
    regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
    regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 es.dll
    regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 vssui.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll

The following will not load:
    swprv.dll
    eventcls.dll
    es.dll
    vssui.dll
    msxml.dll

Any ideas anyone?

I believe that swprv.dll loads out of syswow64.  I've got nothing, so far, on the rest of them.
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Thanks for the update.  In the end I did a clean reinstall.  At least all the VSS dll's are now working.  Which is no consolation because I still have Restore issues (permissions problem in C:\System Volume Information) which means the system restore function is broke.  Even after a clean install.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 3:18 AM
  • Has anyone come up with a resolution to this issue? I've tried all the above as well as this registry modification: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184 and suggestions from here: http://forums.msrportal.com/archive/index.php?t-24866.html.

Thanks.

Mike

Monday, March 29, 2010 5:33 PM
  • I am getting both these errors (event ID 22 and 8183) on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit system.

I am running only standard off-the-shelf software, no compilations.

This pair of errors occurs together, and the Details tab in the Event Log refers to Carbonite (carboniteservices.exe to be precise).

Carbonite Support say that it is not their issue and that it is VSS that is broken.  (Carbonite uses VSS).

VSS seems to run OK in services.msc, though it times out and stops after a while.

I am no further forward in resolving this, even after trying the re-register processes listed above by Mr Incredible.

The errors go back to the day after the new system was started, and as I was loading all my applications on.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Andrew

Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:08 PM
  • I am having these two errors come up when I try and start Outlook(Office 2010).  It asks me if I want to import email and address book from Eudora.  I say yes, and it dies with no message.  The event log shows these two errors.

I can see that there may be a problem with my software running something in W7, but I do not think it is unreasonable that MS's own software would run in W7.  If anyone knows of an answer or workaround from MS, please let me know since I want to switch my email from ancient Eudora to Outlook.

Elroy

Friday, June 25, 2010 4:05 PM
  • I am getting the same problem w7 x64 using Carbonite.

Their site says:

Certain disk defragmentors use a Windows component called VSS (Volume Shadow Service), which is also used by our software.  Since Windows only allows one instance of VSS to run at a time it is a good idea to disable Carbonite before defragmenting your drive.  To temporarily disable Carbonite from running please right-click on the Carbonite Lock icon in your system tray and select Pause for and the time you estimate it will take to complete your defrag (4 hours should be sufficient for the typical user). 

Some defragmentors, such as Diskkeeper, have an 'always on' portion of their software.  If you find that this is delaying your backup please try disabling the 'always on' feature and only run Diskkeeper when you would like to defragment your hard drive.

Rob

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:45 AM