none
Using DPAPI with Service Accounts RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running a .NET application as part of an ASP.NET implementation. I have a user story calling for the ability to encrypt files coming into the app (and decrypt on the way out). I have implemented encryption, but I need a place to store the encryption key. If I understand DPAPI correctly, it requires a logged in user to manage keys. This app runs under a service account, not a user account.

How do I securely store keys in Windows using service accounts? Is DPAPI even an option?

Director of Security

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:21 PM

All replies

• You can use CryptProtectData [dpapi encryption] to protect to the local machine. This means that any user logged onto the machine can decrypt the data with CryptUnprotectData. If your asp.net application is running on a web server where only admins can login then this may be acceptable. You will need to analyze the threats to make this determination.

Using dpapi to encrypt to the user [application pool context in your case] may be problematic for some types of service accounts because there may not be a permanent profile. Dpapi stores its master keys under the user profile directory.

Andrew

Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:43 AM