none
AD Connect Auto Upgrade on Staging Server RRS feed

• Question

• We have two AD Connect servers: an active one and one in staging mode. We have both set with the auto upgrade option enabled. While the active server appears to be on the most current auto upgrade version (1.1.880), the staging server is still on a previous version (1.1.750). I couldn't find anything in the documentation for AD connect stating that staging servers won't auto-upgrade, nor do I see any errors in the event viewer about an attempted upgrade failing.

Does anyone know if the AD Connect server in staging mode won't auto upgrade?

Monday, November 25, 2019 8:29 PM

Answers

• Good question. The goal of staging mode is to maintain a copy of your primary AD Connect configuration, where it's the engineer's task to update the staging mode AD connect configuration when the primary configuration changes. Look at it as release management, testing and deploying software releases and easy fallback when problems occur.

As described in this article there should be an event containing "UpgradeNotSupportedStagingModeEnabled" on the staging mode server which gives you the reason for auto-upgrade not working.

• Marked as answer by ChGPe Monday, November 25, 2019 9:52 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2019 9:22 PM

All replies

• Good question. The goal of staging mode is to maintain a copy of your primary AD Connect configuration, where it's the engineer's task to update the staging mode AD connect configuration when the primary configuration changes. Look at it as release management, testing and deploying software releases and easy fallback when problems occur.

As described in this article there should be an event containing "UpgradeNotSupportedStagingModeEnabled" on the staging mode server which gives you the reason for auto-upgrade not working.

• Marked as answer by ChGPe Monday, November 25, 2019 9:52 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2019 9:22 PM
  • Wow. Right in front of my face. Thanks!
    Monday, November 25, 2019 9:52 PM