Skip to main content

none
windows installation GUID RRS feed

• Question

• hi dears.

i have an application that i want to aware when users change their windows ( new installation or reinstall ). i know the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\machineGUID

hold a unique id for machine that windows installed on it.

but is this GUID change or not when windows new installed on same machine ? or is there another GUID for this purpose?

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:19 AM

Answers

• Well, on the other side, machineGUID is not unique, that's why I suggest you use the UniqueID, which is workable for all versions of windows.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:08 AM

All replies

• Hi dream4gotten,

As I know, Machine GUID a fixed thing in the registry, but is changeable. And if your windows is installed by a backup version, then the Guid should be same as the original one.

If you need some really unique stuff, I would suggest you use this: System.Identity.UniqueID, and there is some discussion regarding this topic on: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3474940/unique-computer-id

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 2:47 AM
  • thanks a lot. but as i see "machineGUID" registry key not work for windows xp. i want a registry key (for example) for all versions of windows (xp,vista,7,8).
    Sunday, October 25, 2015 7:53 AM
  • Well, on the other side, machineGUID is not unique, that's why I suggest you use the UniqueID, which is workable for all versions of windows.

--James

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:08 AM
  • thanks.

but if a user change it's windows , and install same windows on same machine ,  is the registry key "machineGUID" in new windows changed or not?

i want to aware when a user change windows installation.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:17 AM