none
error when writing a windows driver that will help me print PDF files

Question

• I want to develop a windows driver that will help me print pdf files. So I decided writing a virtual driver that will print xps or ps,

then I will convert these files to pdf.  So I found out that I could use visual studio 2012 to write either an xps or a postscript v4 driver. I read a pdf document titled “Developing v4 Print Drivers v1.2” that guided me through the setup process. After section 3.1.3.2 Configure the Visual Studio Solution,

I tried installing the driver but I keep on getting the following error messages

• System has no device the driver package can  be installed onto.
      • EndGroup unexpectedly called with value [Microsoft.DriverKit.DefaultDriverPackageInstallationClass.PerformDefaultDriverPackageInstallation]; expected [WDTF_TEST: Init Driver Package]  

Any help will be appreciated.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hi mr_rishi,

Please go into your package project's configuration and ensure that the Install and Verify setting is set, and that the drop down immediately below that is set to "Default Printer Driver Installation Task", and that the driver's name (from the model section in the INF) is provided in the text box below. Do not use quotes on the model name.

Thanks!

Justin

Monday, September 17, 2012 10:34 PM

All replies

• Hi mr_rishi,

Please go into your package project's configuration and ensure that the Install and Verify setting is set, and that the drop down immediately below that is set to "Default Printer Driver Installation Task", and that the driver's name (from the model section in the INF) is provided in the text box below. Do not use quotes on the model name.

Thanks!

Justin

Monday, September 17, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Hi!

I'm having the same problem: I can't get to deploy (install on a virtual machine) the v4 printer driver resulting from building the VS 2012 'Printer Driver V4' project. I followed the guidelines at the Developing v4 Print Drivers v1.3. Here is my INF file after adding what I considered to be the minimum required.

[Version]
    Signature="$Windows NT$"
    Class=Printer
    ClassGuid={4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Provider=%ManufacturerName%
    CatalogFile=v4PrinterDriver1.cat
    ClassVer=4.0
    DriverVer=04/01/2013,1.0.0.0

[DestinationDirs]
    DefaultDestDir=66000

[SourceDisksNames]
    1=%DiskName%,,,""

[SourceDisksFiles]
    v4PrinterDriver1.gpd=1
    v4PrinterDriver1-manifest.ini=1

[Manufacturer]
    %ManufacturerName%=Standard,NT$ARCH$

[Standard.NT$ARCH$]
    "Some model name"=DriverInstall,Fabrikam1234
    "Some model name"=DriverInstall,{a116583b-8cd5-4382-89e5-aef4d06beed3}

[DriverInstall]
    CopyFiles=DriverFiles

[DriverFiles]
    v4PrinterDriver1.gpd
    v4PrinterDriver1-manifest.ini

[Strings]
    ManufacturerName="Luis"
    DiskName="v4PrinterDriver1 Installation Disk"

Here you can see my (also minimal) manifest.

[DriverConfig]
    DataFile=v4PrinterDriver1.gpd
    PrinterDriverID={a116583b-8cd5-4382-89e5-aef4d06beed3}
    EventFile=v4PrinterDriver1-DriverEvents.xml
    RequiredFiles=UNIDRV.DLL,UNIRES.DLL,UNIDRVUI.DLL,STDNAMES.GPD,MXDWDRV.DLL,XPSSVCS.DLL,MSXPSINC.GPD
    DriverCategory=PrintFax.Printer
    PrinterExtensionUrl="http://www.amyuni.com"

[DriverRender]
    XpsFormat=XPS

When I build the solution, at the VM there's a "Test Authoring and Execution Framework" console showing some errors similar to the ones exposed above. The console disappears immediately and I haven't found the corresponding error log to look for more error details.

I'm only trying to compile and install the simplest and smallest v4 printer driver possible (some sort of Hello World v4 printer driver) so I can then add my rendering logic.

Thanks !

Luis

Monday, June 3, 2013 5:28 PM