none
Latest version of Microsoft IPMI driver (IPMIdrv.sys)

Question

• Hi,

I am running an application (on Server 2008 R2) which interacts with the Microsoft IPMI driver (IPMIdrv.sys). I have strong reasons to believe that the version of the driver I have (version 6.1.7601.17514, dated 21/06/2006 - details shown by Device Manager) leaks memory.

Is anybody aware of a more recent version of this driver?

Thanks,

CD

Monday, October 15, 2012 3:40 PM

Answers

• while the driver could be leaking memory, that would show up as KM memory. KM memory doesn't show up in your application's address space, so the perceived leak is elsewhere. could be the CRT, could be you have a hidden bug (such as not freeing memory that you think you are), etc. You can use the sysinternals tools to get a snapshot of the app, perhaps xperf (called WPT) will give you insight

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:35 PM
    Owner

All replies

• why do you think it is leaking memory? if you force an update from WU and there is no update to the driver, what you have is 99% sure the latest.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 15, 2012 4:13 PM
    Owner
  • It seems to be leaking memory because I have written an application which uses this driver. The application itself does not use dynamic memory at all, but when this application is run , it does the following in an infinite loop

- open the driver

- query a set of sensors

- close the driver.

The memory used by this application monotonically (and very noticeably) increases with time.

Thanks,

CD

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:17 AM
  • while the driver could be leaking memory, that would show up as KM memory. KM memory doesn't show up in your application's address space, so the perceived leak is elsewhere. could be the CRT, could be you have a hidden bug (such as not freeing memory that you think you are), etc. You can use the sysinternals tools to get a snapshot of the app, perhaps xperf (called WPT) will give you insight

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:35 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Doron,

Thanks for your message. I did miss the point about KM memory and my application's address space, but what you say does sound right.

I have also been recommended a tool called Visual Leak Detector, I am going to try this tool and the one you suggested to investigate this problem.

Thanks again.

CD

Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:27 PM
  • I have also seen this problem.  It is clearly a memory leak in the ipmidrv.sys driver. 

The application does not leak in this case - just ipmidrv.sys, and the same application does not leak at all if we use the Intel imbdrv.sys IPMI driver instead.  
    I'm not sure how this does not eventually cause all of memory to be consumed and require a reboot.  Perhaps this driver is not used very frequently (?). 

Steps to reproduce:

1) Download ipmiutil (*.msi) from http://ipmiutil.sourceforge.net

2) Install it on a system with IPMI capability and ipmidrv.sys showing in driverquery

3) Run this command

ipmiutil.exe sensor -g temp -c -L 50

4) And watch the memory leak in task manager or your favorite memory tool

Friday, July 10, 2015 3:56 PM