Skip to main content

none
Anonymous access not working for Images library (PublishingImages) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello and thanks for taking your time to look at this.

I have a publishing website which is extended to anonymous users. The extended site is internet facing site. I have granted anonymous access for extended site. I have an issue providing anonymous access in authoring site level. Sometimes, my authoring site behave like anonymous site once I provide anonymous access. So, I removed anonymous access in authoring site.

After I removed anonymous access in authoring site, all the images from images library is not working (401 Unauthorized issue) for extended site and its working fine in authoring site.

Please help me what I did wrong?

Is any special permission needed to access Images library as anonymous user?

Appreciate if you provide detailed information 

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:40 AM

All replies

• Check the permission settings of the image library. If it is broken or not.

Thanks

Please remember to up-vote & mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 6:04 AM
  • It is not broken, inherited site permission
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 6:10 AM
  • Hi, Arun,

First I want to confirm some information about your environment.

1. You extend a web application for internet facing and enabled anonymous access for the extended zone and default zone. Everything works fine for here.

2. Then you removed anonymous access in default zone. Anonymous users still can access the extended zone properly.

3. Only one image library cannot be accessed with error message 401

Have you checked the site permission settings? As you mentioned the library inherits the permission. Try with turning off versioning. 

Make sure you did not activate the "Limited-access user permission lockdown mode" feature in site collection features.

Any detailed information about your issue will be helpful.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:38 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply

1. Yes correct

2. Yes correct

3. Yes only Images library cannot be accessed with error message 401 (Note: all images are deployed from .Net SharePoint 2013 solution with Type="GhostableInLibrary", ReplaceContent="TRUE", Level="Published")

I have turned off versioning and deactivated "Limited-access user permission lockdown mode" feature but no use

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Hi, Arun,

Would you like to try with OOB image library and upload some sample images manually for testing? Check if users can see the image via anonymous access. And please have a check on your ULS logs for clues. 

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Tuesday, October 29, 2019 7:48 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:49 AM
  • Hi, Arun,

Is there any update about your issue? I am checking how things are going here.

Best Regards

Jerry

Thursday, October 31, 2019 7:54 AM