none
Notebook: Missing Battery Icon in Traybar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Im a Vista Premium user. My Notebook all of the sudden lost its Battery Icon that normally appear in the tray.

How do I recreate it? - it's quite important since it's a lot of trouble not knowing how much powere there's left on my laptop.

Hope some of you can help.

Best regards

Evrae
    Monday, September 10, 2007 2:00 PM

Answers

• I've solved the problem.

I detached the battery while the notebook was shut down, and then re-attached it. That made the Power check box clickable once again.

Thanks for the help Smile

Evrae
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hello Evrae--

The battery meter should display in the tray by default if a battery is detected in the system.

Let's try setting this manually.  Please right click on the Sytem Tray to surface the context menu. Choose "Properties" off of the context menu--this will bring up the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" dialog box. Select the "Notification Area" tab. At the bottom of the tab, is the "Systems Icons" area. There is a check box for "Power". Please "check" the checkbox and click the Apply or OK button. The Battery Meter should show up in the tray.

Let me know if this works. Also, it would be helpful if you could send me the manufacturer and model of your notebook.

-geralyn

• Proposed as answer by anbujagan Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:49 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2007 6:11 PM
  • I've tried that, since it seemed the logical thing to do. The problem is that the checkbox for Power isn't clickable - i.e. "greyed out".

I own a Compaq PRESV6508EO Notebook.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:03 PM
  • I've solved the problem.

I detached the battery while the notebook was shut down, and then re-attached it. That made the Power check box clickable once again.

Thanks for the help Smile

Evrae
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:18 PM
  • Evrae - I was wondering (as I'm thinking on buying a PRESV6508EO as well) - is the function-key (Fn) in the lower left corner of the keyboard or is CTRL the first key? I ask because I think it's annoying when the Fn-key is the first key, it slows down working with shortcuts a lot, I think...?!
    Friday, October 12, 2007 8:43 AM
  • I know what you mean. My previous laptop had the Fn-key as the key as the first from the left.
    The Compaq Presario V6000 (PRESV6508EO), though, has the Left-Ctrl-key as the key first from the left - Luckily Smile

Hope this help you in making a good laptop-purchase. Enjoy
    Friday, October 12, 2007 3:28 PM
  • I also have lost the battery meter. I own a Compaq PRESF506EM.

Also, the dial-up networking icon has disappeared from the notification area when I'm online. The USB eject icon is sometimes there and sometimes not there, with the same hardware setup.

I'm worried that at this rate I'll end up with no icons in the notification area at all, and won't have a clue whether I'm online, whether the battery is about to run out, whether the firewall and anti-virus is running or anything! This is becoming a real problem for me.

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:16 PM
  • I am finding that the checkboxes for all of the standard notification items except the clock are unchecked and greyed out. One time, I noticed that the taskbar had got locked and, when I unlocked it, the checkboxes became clickable again. However, the same thing has happened since, when the taskbar was not locked and the checkboxes were greyed out. I can't see how they could become unchecked and then greyed out. I got them back by locking and then unlocking the taskbar then rebooting the machine. It just doesn't make sense.

Friday, February 1, 2008 11:35 AM
  • Don't know if this helps, but i was having the problem where my "Power" option was grayed out on the task bar and could not be added.  I went into "StartSearch" and typed in Device Manager.  Then under Batties  I went into Cotrol Battery Method and uninstalled the Driver.  Rebooted and then I was able to add the power Icon again. 

• Proposed as answer by xXJayPXx Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:42 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:46 AM
  • remove battery from Laptop then follow procedure below...

Please right click on the Sytem Tray to surface the context menu. Choose "Properties" off of the context menu--this will bring up the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" dialog box. Select the "Notification Area" tab. At the bottom of the tab, is the "Systems Icons" area. There is a check box for "Power". Please "check" the checkbox and click the Apply or OK button. The Battery Meter should show up in the tray.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 8:00 PM
  • This seems a lot of palaver for something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. Sometimes I find the network, volume and battery icons have gone and the checkboxes are grayed out, sometimes it's only the network and volume. Eventually, they come back on their own, as mysteriously as they went. I hate not being in control of something. What's going on? Is anyone from Microsoft reading this?

Sunday, March 2, 2008 10:34 PM
  • Steve, just wanted you ( & anyone else still reading this) to know that I just had this very problem crop up this evening. I keep my taskbar locked and noted the lack of the power icon & grayed-out box in the taskbar properties window. Unlocking the taskbar made the option box clickable again, and the applied change took without a restart. So, thanks much for the almost effortless solution.

Me: Vista Ultimate x64, dual-processor HP Pavillion dv9700t
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:05 AM
  • I had the same problem today, after Vista performed an upgrade (serial pack 1 xxxx) the battery level trey icon dissapeared for good, tried a lot of thing. Ultimately I restored the system to previous state and there it was again. I have hp laptop modell dv9500. I had another problem with automated updates, with the audio driver, no sound, again restoring to previous driveer was the only solution, the same happend with the microphone driver, it updated and recorded really bad.. same procedure.. at least now I apreciate the automated restore point before system changes. Microsoft should really test the updates more carefully before releasing them.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:11 PM
  • hi i just wantd to know how u were able to restore the system to previous state. because the same things happend to me. pls help Smile 

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:27 AM
  • I also lost the sound on my Compaq after a Microsoft update. I had to contact HP to get a working sound driver. Fortunately the machine was still in warranty. The battery icon still appears and disappears at random.

This really is not good enough.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:21 PM
  • --redacted--

• Proposed as answer by mari gold Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:07 AM
    • Edited by DeprecatedName Sunday, June 30, 2019 3:53 AM
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 11:56 AM
  • I got that far but the Power check box is shaded and therefore can be checked. what else can i do?

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 6:22 AM
  • I tried every suggestion on these two pages, nothing worked. I have a Dell XPS M1330 with Vista Home, I HATE VISTA...

The Pwere check box is still shaded and nt able to check it. It is the worst feeling to not know when the system will shut off in the middle of my work. No warning. BILL GATES, ARE YOU LISTENING, YOU ARE LOOSING LOTS OF CUSTOMERS TO MAC BECUASE OF YOUR INCOMPETENCE. Take thier advise and spend your money on fixing VISTA instead of advertising. THERE IS NO STRONGER ADVERTISING THAN WORD OF MOUTH, good and bad. Or offer a free upgrade to Windows XP Pro to all the Vista victims, untill you fix Vista.   Dear SANTA I wat a Mac for Christmass

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 6:54 AM
  • yessssss, this worked. finally after I tried all the other suggestions, this worked. THX

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:04 AM
  • I just experienced this today after installing Avast Anti-viral software. My battery icon disappeared and it was not available when I tried to check the box.  For a simple solution that took 5 minutes, give this a try.  I'm glad it worked.

1. Close all programs, and shut down the laptop.
    2. Remove all power supplies (battery and power cord)
    3. Drain remaining power by pushing the power on button for 30 seconds(while you have no power supply)
    4. Put the battery back in and boot up the computer
    5. Once booted completely, right click the system tray and select properties
    6. The boxes should now all be selectable

I hope this helps someone else who thought all was lost.
    • Proposed as answer by mulcher Monday, February 9, 2009 6:42 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Hello, I had the same missing icons issue after installing XP sp3.
    I clicked the START button then Run then typed in MSCONFIG.
    In the Startup tab on this System Configuration Utility I noticed an entry that had nothing listed under the Command column.
    Sorry I didn't take a screen shot but I know the location tab said HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrenVersion\Run
    I unchecked this as it had nothing listed in the Command column as stated earlier.
    I then restarted the pc.
    This returned my battery and volume icons to the system tray.
    If you find you have the same listing give it a try and please let me know if it works for you.
    I had no luck looking up the solution for this in many many chats and forums.
    I stumbled upon this and it worked!
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you , this worked for me. Thankyou so much.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:10 AM
  • right click on your taskbar and lock it and unlock it again, or unlock it and lock it again. Then the boxes should appear again :)
    this worked for me anyway
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:12 AM
  • Works on Vista Home Premium too.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 1:47 AM
  • Akshit,

This was the only thing that has worked for me,  thank you for posting.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Hi Thanks, this worked for me.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:59 PM
  • Even quicker:

Obatin Process Explorer
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Right click on Explorer.exe, and click Restart
    (same as Process menu selection, then Restart)

Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:48 PM
  • this worked for windows xp home sp3:

run dos prompt

type:

powercfg.exe /globalpowerflag off /option batteryicon

then:

powercfg.exe /globalpowerflag on /option batteryicon

simply doing the "on" one alone (first) didn't work...seemed it needed to be toggled off then on.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:09 AM

run dos prompt

type:

then:

simply doing the "on" one alone (first) didn't work...seemed it needed to be toggled off then on.

Awesome. This worked for me. My battery icon disappeared one day and it was driving me NUTS. This was on an acer aspire one netbook. Now it works fine after running these commands. Thank you!
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:32 AM
  • Thanks for the solution. That worked perfectly without even having to reboot.

:)

Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:22 AM
  • Thanks! That worked. I'm getting rather fed up with my PC. It's only a year old, but its giving me way more stress than it's worth. I'm thinking a mac is the way to go from now on
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:03 AM
  • This works on Vista Home Premium as well. BTW, I had to jump thru hoops just to say thanks for the fix. MICROSOFT SUCKS DICK!!! The last good product was DOS 3.0~!
    Friday, November 27, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Great Thanks! 
    Unlocking the taskbar really make again power box in "system icons" window clickable! I do it on my Pavilion dv7 1050 with Vista Ultimate.
    U are a wizard! :)))
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:49 AM
  • You Rock Akshit, This worked Excellently for my Toshiba Satellite Notebook with Vista.

Saturday, January 16, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Akshit,

Thanks for the tip.  It works for my Vista Home Prem Dell Inspiron1525.  I am a happy camper now.

Tom
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:29 AM
  • Akshit, THANK YOU! i had the same issue on my aspire one Notebook, i am running Windows XP and it worked, ur unreal.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Hi Akshit,

Thanks a lot. This also worked on HP Pavilion Dv2000 Vista Home Premium.

Cheers,
    Karthik
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Hi there, when I type powercfg.exe nothing shows up :(
    Monday, April 12, 2010 11:30 PM
  • Cerberus527 deserves a Medal! After trawling through dozens of googled sites I came across your suggestion - Bingo! IT WORKED! You have no idea how much hassle you have saved me. Many thanks.
    Friday, May 7, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Thank you, Akshit!! This worked for me!
    Monday, May 10, 2010 10:23 PM
  • the best advice on here! worked instantly....thanks
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:43 PM
  • This worked for me perfectly. All my sys tray icons were greyed out except for clock. stopping and then starting the explorer.exe process brought them all back.  Thanks Akshit
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 3:56 PM
  • This worked for me! (i tried many other soloutions but this was the only one that did anything!!)

I unistalled the driver and when i rebooted the battery meter had appeared. Also in properties, the 'Power' button is no longer greyed out!

Thank you so much, this was driving me crazy!! xx

Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:47 PM
  • thank you, i have vista premium, this worked great, finally.  VISTA is like a bad kid - you think, "you know I am sure it is just getting a bad rap", no it its a bad kid, VISTA sucks it does some of the weirdest cramp - unprovoked
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:21 AM
  • Thanks man, after trying a lot of thing that simple thing has solve this problem!

Oh, Sezennn u need to type "powercfg.exe /globalpowerflag off /option batteryicon " then enter,                                                          then "powercfg.exe /globalpowerflag on /option batteryicon" then enter again.

After this go back to properties and under the notification area tab, now the system icons should be selectable.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Thanks a lot.., Iam using Acer Aspire one Netbook and the above method worked for me.., 
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Thank you Evrae ... I wouldn't love to say but this post wasn't helpful. I got the trick. Step follows:-

1. Go to Task Manager.
    2. Go to Process tab.
    3. End the "explorer.exe" process
    4. Go to Applications tab
    5. Select "New Task..."
    6. Type "explorer.exe"

There you are your power icon will be back after changing your battery also.

Fully tested ... (ONLY on Windows Vista Ultimate).

Regards,

Akshit

Why it does not work here? Did I miss something? Could you give more details?
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 12:25 AM
  • Thanks! That worked. I'm getting rather fed up with my PC. It's only a year old, but its giving me way more stress than it's worth. I'm thinking a mac is the way to go from now on
    WOW if you only knew the headaches my friends that have mac's are going through. 
    Friday, September 10, 2010 8:36 PM

run dos prompt

type:

then:

Thank You this worked my icon is back on.  but now it doesn't switch to battery when I unplug from A/C. 
    Friday, September 10, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Hi there, when I type powercfg.exe nothing shows up :(

You have to in Win XP

make sure your at the C:/ prompt

To do this you [click]

Start

you [click]

Run

you [type]

command

you [click]

OK

at the prompt you should see something that looks like this

C:\DOCUME~1\FRANK> _  <<<<<That is the prompt when you first open the command window.

You need to be at the C:\> prompt [also known as the "dos prompt"]

to do this you [type]

chdir C:\

then push the [ENTER] key

in the command window your courser should be at the end of 

C:\> 

Then [type] 

powercfg.exe /globalpowerflag off /option batteryicon   <<<That whole line

then [type]

<<<That whole line

So if everything went right you should see in the command window something like this when your done

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\FRANK>chdir C:\

C:\>powercfg.exe /globalpowerflag off /option batteryicon

C:\>powercfg.exe /globalpowerflag on /option batteryicon

Now check your task bar and you should see the icon for the AC or battery in there.  You may have to click the << to see the hidden icons

**** Side note*****

if this is all geek to you then

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

ask someone knows about command line editing to do this for you.

We are not responsible if you [type] wrong thing and blow your house, computer, hard-drive, cat, dog, kid/s, wife/husband, or the whole damn world up.   

Saturday, September 11, 2010 2:30 PM
  • good job akshit. this worked on my hp netbook with windows 7 starter.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 6:31 AM
  • It worked great for me and I have windows 7. :) Thank you!
    Monday, November 1, 2010 4:47 PM
  • All you do is start the task manager

1. go to processes tab
    2. find explorer.exe and hit end process
    3. go back to applications tab
    4. hit new task and type explorer.exe
    5. everything should pop back up
    6. if not right click task bar
    7. hit properties
    8. notification tab
    9. and check all the boxes

• Proposed as answer by Richiev95 Monday, November 29, 2010 4:26 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 4:26 AM
  • Geralyn,

You not only anwered that question but many others, I can't thank you enough.

Ernie Sr

Sunday, January 9, 2011 2:23 AM
  • I had the same problem, and this fix worked. Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:57 PM
  • This works perfectly - thanks
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Guys i hav some prbm my batry icon is missing i tryd everythng deatchd batry but no use and also in icons power icon is unclickble it is greyed out...plz help
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Thanks a lot this helped.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:45 PM
  • I got the trick. Step follows:-

1. Go to Task Manager.
    2. Go to Process tab.
    3. End the "explorer.exe" process
    4. Go to Applications tab
    5. Select "New Task..."
    6. Type "explorer.exe"

There you are your power icon will be back after changing your battery also.

THANK YOU so much, power icon disappeared and it was driving me nuts - my laptop would occasionally tell me I have a critical amount of battery left and to find a power source immediately.. I followed the steps above and it reappeared, thank goodness!

Btw I'm using Windows 7, works fine!
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:45 PM
  • did you fix this..cause i totally have the same problem
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 4:48 AM
  • hi there.

thanks a lot. it was indeed helpful. 

Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Geralyn's answer worked for me on Windows 7 starter on a Toshiba NB5050 net book. Thanks.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:49 PM
  • i do everything u say i still can't see the batterie power on the taskbar
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:13 PM
  • i own a laptop toshiba i use to see the power batterie on the taskbar now i can't see it no more
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Hello Akshit,

Thats the best solution to the problem. In fact in works for Windows 7 premium as well. The other solutions are of little worth and most of them ends up with no proper results. Your solution is the genuine one and requires no rebooting and battery removal.

Thanks

Faiz

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Best advise, works on Windows 7 as well

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:50 PM
  • It has been 4 years since this suggestion was posted, but it worked instantly for me! Many, many thanks for this solution and to all who take the time to share their experiences in these forums. We all know how frustrating our computers can be, so this is a great resource.

Keep up the good work.

Gratefully,

VB

Monday, October 3, 2011 3:05 PM
  • thank you so much akshit! u helped me :))
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Thank you very much, Evrae, it worked on my Laptop also :)
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:49 PM
  • I guess I am the unlucky one, none of these suggestions are working for me! Have tried them all...really frustrated! Any other suggestions?

Sunday, March 11, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Didnt work for me :( I have windows 7 also.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 10:52 PM
  • Genius, thanks for the help
    Monday, April 2, 2012 3:41 PM
  • It worked like a charm even after 3 yrs. Thanks, Akshit.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Thanks alot Akshit

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:25 PM
  • The Geralyn answer solved the problem for me.

Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot to have a completely different access to "system icons" than to all other icons.

System icons = blue underlined link BELOW the framed area

Other icons = icons and explanation INSIDE the framed area

BAD BAD UI design, Microsoft!

• Proposed as answer by BuyX Monday, May 28, 2012 11:00 PM
    Monday, May 28, 2012 11:00 PM
  • DOS rocks

well done that man way back up there ^ thx

powercfg /globalpowerflag on /option batteryicon

space before / but no spaces after the forward slashes peeps

Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:18 AM
  • Hi

I had the same problem so I have just tried Akshit's solution and it worked.

Friday, August 31, 2012 9:37 PM
  • you can do this in the run menu as well and MANY thanks to the first to suggest it. saved me much aggrervation
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:18 AM
  • many thanks!!!!! worked like a charm:)
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:19 AM
  • It wont let me check the box that says "Power" . This is very important so plz help me!!!!! 😭😭😭
    Saturday, July 6, 2013 10:58 PM
  • it is not clickable 4 me 2 !! i need help.
    Saturday, July 6, 2013 10:59 PM