How to move Windows Kits Folder to other disks? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits" took too much space so that I can't get my OS updated or running fluently.

I've tried reinstall the SDK by myself without Visual Studio Installer.

But I can't select installation path as the textbox is disabled,

I can only install it on "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits".

How could I move the folder to other disks?

Thanks.

Saturday, October 21, 2017 12:34 AM

Answers

• Try the following technique:

• Close all programs, move the “Windows Kits” folder to another disk, for example to “D:\Windows Kits”; remove the original folder.
    • Start the “Command Prompt (Admin)”. It can be found in Start menu. If you find “PowerShell (Admin)”, then start it and execute “cmd”. Then run the command:

mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits" "D:\Windows Kits"

You should re-see “Windows Kits” at original location on disk C, but now it is a “junction” and does not take space. The programs do not need re-configuration.

• Edited by Viorel_MVP Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by rsworktech Sunday, October 22, 2017 6:31 AM
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:15 PM
  • The Windows Kits installation path is only selectable when no kits are installed. So try uninstalling all Windows SDKs/WDKs.

If this doesn't do it, then it is probably due to the fact that the installation information is corrupt. That happens sometimes. -_-; You may have to reinstall Windows in that case because cleaning up everything is a pain.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Saturday, October 21, 2017 1:59 PM

All replies

• The Windows Kits installation path is only selectable when no kits are installed. So try uninstalling all Windows SDKs/WDKs.

If this doesn't do it, then it is probably due to the fact that the installation information is corrupt. That happens sometimes. -_-; You may have to reinstall Windows in that case because cleaning up everything is a pain.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Saturday, October 21, 2017 1:59 PM
  • Try the following technique:

• Close all programs, move the “Windows Kits” folder to another disk, for example to “D:\Windows Kits”; remove the original folder.
    • Start the “Command Prompt (Admin)”. It can be found in Start menu. If you find “PowerShell (Admin)”, then start it and execute “cmd”. Then run the command:

mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits" "D:\Windows Kits"

You should re-see “Windows Kits” at original location on disk C, but now it is a “junction” and does not take space. The programs do not need re-configuration.

• Edited by Viorel_MVP Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:23 PM
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:15 PM