Could slow web page loading be caused by the service plan or region? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a web app hosted in Azure with a service plan B1 and a region West Europe. The app is nothing fancy. Just a landing page. I have tested its speed with https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/feature/testmysite/ and it turns out that it is very slow(~13 seconds to load according to the results of the link above although when I load it with the browser it is a lot faster.). I am trying to find what is the cause of the slow speed and so far my hypothsis are that the images of my site are too big and the other is that my Azure Plan could be insufficient. Does anyone have experience and can tell me whether that might be the reason. I would also like to know how to track the speed of the App Service directly at the Azure Portal and what of KPIs should I look at the Azure Portal Diagnostic Dashboards.

Best,

Kamen

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 1:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Kamen,

At first glance, it appears that thinkwithgoogle.com is featured towards mobile sites, which do have stricter "requirements" or should we say considerations. For mobile sites, you want everything to pull snappy so that means not a lot of heavy graphics, space efficient javascript code, I think having a site being AMP compatible might be a thing.

First thing to consider. If your site is using a lot of images, host those images in a CDN. Those images can be cached and quickly retrieved. You can also host any CSS or JS in your CDN as well. You'll need your own CDN for your images but if you're using a fairly common javascript, you can leverage other hosted CDNs

For the performance of you app service plan, first place to check is https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/overview-diagnostics. This will provide easy to view charts on the performance of your web app in addition to failed requests and unexpected shutdowns. When it comes to scaling up your plan, things to look at are CPU and memory consumption. It seems your website is pretty bare, you might be even able to host it statically. But if you do have a few moving pieces that require a larger amount of memory or you have a lot of processing going on, that's when you would want to scale up. If you're receiving a lot of traffic to your website and you want to be able to serve those requests, look at scaling out.

Hope this helps you in your decision making.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 11:08 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

thank you very much for the detailed answer! This is really helpful starting point for me.

Best,

Kamen

Thursday, May 14, 2020 5:03 AM