Disk Conversion Question RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering about Azure Disk conversion. Example disks that currently reside as Premium SSD and you deallocated the VM, place it to StandardSSD, is this instant and you are not charged for Premium anymore just StandardSSD? Also if it's instant, how is that even possible if it was like a 2TB lun? Is this doing a migration in the backend to slower disk or what exactly is going on there?

Here says how to convert it and sounds like it's instant, but I don't see how that is the case https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/convert-disk-storage

Thanks

Friday, November 29, 2019 7:47 PM

Answers

• @LukeUhren Thanks for raising this question, Firstly apologies for delay in responding here!

Premium SSD and standard SSD both use SSDs, so no data migration is required in theory.

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 4:40 AM

All replies

• @LukeUhren Thanks for raising this question, Firstly apologies for delay in responding here!

Premium SSD and standard SSD both use SSDs, so no data migration is required in theory.

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 4:40 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.... I would assume then that there is some migration if you moved from StandardSSD and PremiumSSD to the StandardHDD? If so, is this just migrating on the fly in the back end? It seems like you can switch it so easily, but made me wonder if I did that is it actually migrating or what is it doing. If that information can be given or not.

Thanks

Thursday, December 5, 2019 2:58 PM