none
Windows SDK Help cannot reach Internet RRS feed

• Question

•  

I installed the Windows SDK on Vista business and it is unable to reach the internet.  I have used it with no problems on my old XP machine.  If I go to Tools --> Options, Help->Online and hit Download Provider List it times out.  I can't get it to see the internet, but IE works fine on its own.  This is a fresh install of Vista and VS2005(w/sp1) and this Windows SDK (feb2007update).

I also noticed in VS2005 that it can't reach the internet also.  I am not behind a proxy.  ( I tried using one just for troubleshooting but it did not help.

Does anyone know how i can further trouble shoot this.  My network connecting is a regular LAN at work, no proxy.  IE works fine on its own.

Thanks!

-scott

Friday, August 24, 2007 4:29 PM

All replies

• Any ideas?

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:30 PM
  • Hi Kingmissle,

I need more information before I can help you. What application are you using when you try to reach the Internet?  The "Windows SDK" does not an interface so it would  not have this menu: Tools --> Options, Help->Online and hit Download Provider List.

If you are viewing the SDK documents using Document Explorer (which is also in Visual Studio), you might not be able to access online help if you have your settings set to "Try local only, not online".

When you first launch the documents (Start, All Programs, Microsoft Windows SDK, documents) you are prompted to choose how you want to load Help content:

• Try online first, then local
    • Try local first, then online
    • Try local only, not online

If you choose "Try local only, not online" you would not be able to access the online documents at MSDN.  Is this what you are trying to do?  If so, you can change this setting from within the Document Explorer browser. 

1.  Open the SDK Documents (Start, All Programs, Microsoft Windows SDK, documents)

2.  From the top toolbar, choose Tools, Options, expand Help in the left pane and highlight Online

3.  Under When loading Help content, choose either Try online first, then local OR Try local first, then online

If this is not your issue, please give me more information on what you are trying to do.

Karin Meier

Windows SDK Team

Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:34 PM
  •  

I am viewing the SDK documents using the Document Explorer.  I have tried all 3 settings (online, then local... etc.) and the only one that works is Local only.  The other 2 choices cause the document explorer to hang... like it is trying to reach the internet but times out.  IE works fine, my connection to the internet is fine.

I have loaded another PC with vista business 64-bit.  Then I loaded only the Windows SDK (not VS).  This PC has the same exact problem.

If I click that 'Download Provider List' under codezone community (from Tools->Options) it says:

"Error getting Codezone Community sites.  Unable to retrieve resources from teh MSDN service."

Which also acts like it can't reach the internet.

This all works fine on my XP setup.

Thanks for any more ideas....

Friday, August 31, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Did you close, then relaunch Document Explorer after making the changes to how you want to load Help content?

• Try online first, then local
    • Try local first, then online

I think you need to close the browser for the settings to stick.

Karin

Friday, August 31, 2007 7:23 PM
  • I need some help troubleshooting the issue.  The problem is not getting settings to stick.  The software is unable to use my LAN settings to reach the internet.

Friday, August 31, 2007 8:45 PM
  • It sounds like you have your settings correct, but DExplore.exe (Document Explorer) itself is not functioning as expected.  You should ask this question in the Developer Documentation and Help Forum http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=66&SiteID=1 where they focus specifically on DExplore.exe questions. 

This post may be related to your issue: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=73661&SiteID=1

I've forwarded your question to a team member who may have an answer, but I'd recommend checking out the Help Forum in the meantime.

Karin

Friday, August 31, 2007 9:02 PM
  •  

I have seen that post, which is what made me try using a proxy to see if I could find the problem, but it didn't help.  I am back to not using a proxy.

I also posted in the forum you mentioned.  I will wait and see if there are any other suggestions.  Thanks!

Friday, August 31, 2007 9:10 PM