none
Will UI Automation work with Flex/Flash pages? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am writing a tool to enumerate flash fields on a web page using UI Automation framework (UI spy and AccExplorer32.exe are able to do it). If the page is a flash page, everything works fine. All the fields are detected and the supported patterns etc.

But, sometimes the UI Automation tree gets simply broken on the flash page(mostly if developed with flex). It either is able to enumerate all the fields or simply does not detect the children of the flash pane at all. Its quite random and the same results are being shown in UISpy also. 

Can someone tell me why this happens? Is this a problem with UI Automation framework? If the tree does not get built at all, then I can assume that it does not detect the fields. But, it is able to create the tree, but not consistently. Any help in this regard is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sailesh

Monday, October 11, 2010 8:57 AM

Answers

• Flex has its own automation framework and there is a good reason most automation tools that support Flex use it. See for example how RIATest sees the automation tree in Flex applications (just launch any sample that comes with it and use Inspect feature). Flex does not expose this tree properly to UI automation. The information available to UI automation is marginal (mostly just a flat view of Flash components).
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 5:33 AM