Skip to main content

none
Python: Where's the Toolbox? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using VB6 for many years and lately I've been trying out VB.NET (what a pain). Now someone told me that I absolutely "must" learn Python, because it is a "very important" programming language. 

So I installed the Python option in VS and I've discovered that the Toolbox is all grayed out. I've consulted the internet for a reason for this and I believe that I've discovered that Python won't work with drag and drop Toolbox features like VB.NET. Is this true, or am I doing something wrong? 

I also noticed, while trying to figure out what forum to post to, that Python is not listed under Visual Studio Languages in the "Forum Category" list.  Is Python not considered a Visual type language? 

Thank you

BiggyD

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

As far as I know when you want to create python project using visual studio, first you need to install python tools for visual studio.

please see my screen shot.

Based on my search, Python is a widely used high-level programming language for general-purpose programming, created by Guido van Rossum and first released in 1991.

About python development issue, you can consult the issue on here.

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Biggy D Tuesday, November 27, 2018 6:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:10 AM
  •  Now someone told me that I absolutely "must" learn Python, because it is a "very important" programming language. 

+1

I also noticed, while trying to figure out what forum to post to, that Python is not listed under Visual Studio Languages in the "Forum Category" list.  Is Python not considered a Visual type language? 

There's no "Microsoft  Visual Python", fortunately :-)

As Hart Cheng wrote, the Python toolkit for VS (PTVS) does not contain a Python interpreter, but it offers to install one which plays ball with the toolkit. More details you can find here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/python/installation

The PTVS add-on is permanently developing, this is good news by itself. But you need the PTVS release which exactly matches your Visual Studio version and update. Assuming you've done this step right, PTVS will offer you a choice of Python 3 vs Python 2.7, and 32 vs 64 bit, and something called "Anaconda". 

If you're just learning, get the default one and start from a simple "hello world" type Python script. GUI is much harder, but get the basics first.

Later you can install other versions as needed, they can work side by side.

Enjoy.

-- pa

• Edited by Pavel A Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Biggy D Tuesday, November 27, 2018 6:16 PM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:21 PM
  • There's no "Microsoft  Visual Python"... I guess that answers my question. There seems to be lots of recommendations for "tool kits" and such for Python, but no real promise of a toolkit for creating windows type desktop applications where I can easily drag and drop objects like textboxes and buttons... etc... or GUI.

And they've created Visual Basic from Basic, and Visual C from C, So why not Visual Python?

BiggyD

• Marked as answer by Biggy D Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:40 PM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:59 PM
  • Python is "very important" is not because it is great for Windows desktop GUI. VB6 is still much better for that. 

As for "Microsoft Visual Python"... heaven forbid.

-- pa

• Marked as answer by Biggy D Tuesday, November 27, 2018 6:17 PM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

As far as I know when you want to create python project using visual studio, first you need to install python tools for visual studio.

please see my screen shot.

Based on my search, Python is a widely used high-level programming language for general-purpose programming, created by Guido van Rossum and first released in 1991.

About python development issue, you can consult the issue on here.

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Biggy D Tuesday, November 27, 2018 6:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:10 AM
  •  Now someone told me that I absolutely "must" learn Python, because it is a "very important" programming language. 

+1

There's no "Microsoft  Visual Python", fortunately :-)

As Hart Cheng wrote, the Python toolkit for VS (PTVS) does not contain a Python interpreter, but it offers to install one which plays ball with the toolkit. More details you can find here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/python/installation

The PTVS add-on is permanently developing, this is good news by itself. But you need the PTVS release which exactly matches your Visual Studio version and update. Assuming you've done this step right, PTVS will offer you a choice of Python 3 vs Python 2.7, and 32 vs 64 bit, and something called "Anaconda". 

If you're just learning, get the default one and start from a simple "hello world" type Python script. GUI is much harder, but get the basics first.

Later you can install other versions as needed, they can work side by side.

Enjoy.

-- pa

• Edited by Pavel A Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Biggy D Tuesday, November 27, 2018 6:16 PM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:21 PM
  • There's no "Microsoft  Visual Python"... I guess that answers my question. There seems to be lots of recommendations for "tool kits" and such for Python, but no real promise of a toolkit for creating windows type desktop applications where I can easily drag and drop objects like textboxes and buttons... etc... or GUI.

And they've created Visual Basic from Basic, and Visual C from C, So why not Visual Python?

BiggyD

• Marked as answer by Biggy D Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:40 PM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:59 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

>>And they've created Visual Basic from Basic, and Visual C from C, So why not Visual Python?

This is good advice, you can post the idea on user voice website.  

If your issue has been resolved, please remember to close your thread by marking useful posts as answer that can be helpful for other person with same issue.

Best Regards,

Hart

Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:55 AM
  • Python is "very important" is not because it is great for Windows desktop GUI. VB6 is still much better for that. 

As for "Microsoft Visual Python"... heaven forbid.

-- pa

• Marked as answer by Biggy D Tuesday, November 27, 2018 6:17 PM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:43 PM