none
User Profile Service - DumpSynchronizationStatusToFile() Error RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi there,

    I am getting the following error and I think this prevents UPA to put bDeleted = 1 for users Deleted/Disabled in AD:

    w3wp.exe (0x31F8) 0x3A38 SharePoint Portal Server User Profiles g22d High UserProfileApplication.DumpSynchronizationStatusToFile: Unexpected exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplication.DumpSynchronizationStatusToFile(). b06e539e-f183-30e2-e646-bcd879495b91

    Any thoughts? 

    Thanks!

    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:45 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    This error usually occurred in couple of ways. You should check following things.

    1. Make sure user profile services is running on the server(bil101vrt)...you can check it from central admin>manage services on server> make user profile service is running
    2. Try to reset IIS on the server.
    3. Stop and Start the User profile service from Central Admin.

    After that, check if it works fine.

    Best Regards,

    Carl Zhou


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.


    Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

    Thursday, March 15, 2018 6:56 AM
  • Hi Carl,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Unfortunately, I already tried all of that.
    UPS is running, tried to Stop it from PowerShell and Fix it from Central Administration (I am running SP2016). Also tried to Stop it from PowerShell and then start it from PowerShell again. Tried to reset IIS reset multiple times, it didn't help. I have one server farm.

    Any other ideas?

    Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:51 AM
  •  

    Hi,

    Please go into manage service on this server, turned off user profiles and turned it back on, waited about 20 minutes.

    After that, check if it works fine.

    Best Regards,

    Carl Zhou


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.


    Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

    Thursday, March 22, 2018 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

    Thanks again for the answer.

    I have SharePoint 2016 and disable a service within Central Administration cannot be done (it can be done only via PowerShell, which I've already tried earlier).

    What will be the root cause of the problem? Where is it trying to put Dump Synchronization Status File?

    Thanks!

    Thursday, March 22, 2018 8:00 AM
  • Hello
    could you fix the problem, I too have the same problem
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 4:04 PM
  • Did anyone get a fix for this? I am also seeing this error when I try to run a profile sync. This is on a single SP 2016 server. I have deleted and rebuilt the UPS but I have exactly the same issue.

    Error is :

    UserProfileApplication.DumpSynchronizationStatusToFile: Unexpected exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplication.DumpSynchronizationStatusToFile().


    Monday, April 29, 2019 2:08 AM
  • Hi Clarky,

    Any updates on this, we also facing same issue.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Venkata

    Thursday, July 11, 2019 1:33 PM
  • Hi,

    Did you find a solution to this?

    Thanks!

    Wednesday, October 2, 2019 5:26 PM
  • Did anyone got the solution for this issue. Even I am facing the same issue.
    Saturday, December 7, 2019 7:04 AM
  • We ended up opening a case with Microsoft. They didn't provide a straight answer on the root cause of the issue, however we resolved the issue doing this:

    1) Review your synchronization connections: In our case we have specific AD OU containers selected in the synchronization connection settings. We noticed we had a few user objects not selected within the OU containers (apparently SharePoint doesn't like this). The MS engineer had us to select all objects again by clicking in the parent's OU checkbox and saved the changes.

    2) Configure synchronization settings: We are using 'SharePoint Active Directory Import'. We selected 'Enable External Identity Manager' and saved. Then came back and select 'Use SharePoint Active Directory Import' setting and save. This step cleans up the UPS databases from old data that could be causing trouble. I was concerned about this step, since we have custom user properties that we didn't want to lose. This procedure didn't affect our custom properties, or user data. I suggest you test in a Dev environment first if possible though.

    Remember to disable the Mysite cleanup timer job before working on this!

    *These steps might sound easy, but it took us about 3 weeks to get here after long troubleshooting hours and lots of back and forth.

    Good luck!

    Monday, December 9, 2019 3:28 PM