Skip to main content

none
VMM to ASR transition RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I got an email this morning about ASR moving away from VMM.  I would like some clarification on the dates.  If I want to add a new VM to ASR from VMM, do I have until November 15th to do it, or Oct 30th 2020?  Sometimes my replications get out of sync and require me to remove and readd them back in.  Is this ending November 15th or Oct 2020?

How does this affect me?<o:p></o:p>

Starting November 15, 2019, we will no longer onboard new replication configurations for these protection scenarios using Azure Site Recovery.<o:p></o:p>

On October 30, 2020, any of the existing ASR site recovery configurations for these scenarios will be removed. You will no longer be able to use Azure Site Recovery for these scenarios. Any data related to the replication will also be removed.

<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Starting November 2019, no new user on-boardings will be allowed for these scenarios. Existing replications and management operations including failover, test failover, monitoring etc. will not be impacted.

Once the scenarios are deprecated, there will be the following implications unless the customer follows the recommend steps.

DR between of Hyper-V VMs managed by SCVMM between customer owned sites: The replications will continue to work, as the underlying capability of Hyper-V replica will continue to work, but customers won't be able to view, manage or performs any DR-related operations via the Azure Sire Recovery experience in the Azure portal.
    DR of Hyper-V VMs managed by SCVMM to Azure: The existing replications will be disrupted and customers won't be able to view, manage, or performs any DR-related operations via the Azure Site Recovery.

Reference:
    Upcoming deprecation of DR between customer owned sites using Hyper-V and between sites managed by SCVMM to Azure

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 3:18 PM
  • Sounds like If I need to replicate a new server, I need to do it via Hyper-V, not SCVMM. I can't believe I got an email today and no other documentation before this.  It's 10 days away. Need to start moving stuff over I guess and reupload it. 
    Tuesday, November 5, 2019 5:35 PM