none
How to read/recover files from pen drives/USB Hard disks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I need to develop a forensic tool which is requires to read/recover files from Hard Disks as well as from USB Hard Disks, Pen Drives and also read deleted files from Hard Disks and Flash Drives.

it should work for FAT32/NTFS on windows environment.

Please help me to read/recover files from Hard Disks/Pen Drives.

Thanks

Ashish

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi AshishKumarVerma,

This is not quite a VC++ issue, but I hope following information helps.

Based on my knowledge, you should study the file structure of Fat32 and NTFS first. When you know the file structure, you need to scan the partition and check the specific flag of a file. Once you find the file is deleted, create a new file and copy all the data to the new one.

Here is a sample code: Undelete a file in NTFS http://www.codeproject.com/KB/files/NTFSUndelete.aspx. I hope this sample gives you some idea for such task and it is not too difficult to build a Fat32 one after studying the Fat32.

Cheers,

Yi    

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi AshishKumarVerma,

This is not quite a VC++ issue, but I hope following information helps.

Based on my knowledge, you should study the file structure of Fat32 and NTFS first. When you know the file structure, you need to scan the partition and check the specific flag of a file. Once you find the file is deleted, create a new file and copy all the data to the new one.

Here is a sample code: Undelete a file in NTFS http://www.codeproject.com/KB/files/NTFSUndelete.aspx. I hope this sample gives you some idea for such task and it is not too difficult to build a Fat32 one after studying the Fat32.

Cheers,

Yi    

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:16 AM
  • Hi Li

Thank you very much for your support.

Regards!

Ashish

Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:50 PM