none
Continuous deployment of runbooks

Question

• I've been using Azure Automation for a few weeks now and have had to handcraft my own deployment scripts for deploying runbooks. it all feels a bit clumsy and hence why i left the following feedback on feedback.azure.com

I have runbooks that are stored in source control which then get deployed to Azure Automation. The process of deploying them is rather cumbersome (basically a bunch of hand crafted Powershell scripts that call the Azure Automation cmdlets). It seems to me that there are going to be lots of people crafting the same kind of scripts - that's a lot of wheel-reinvention going on.
    I'd like to see some features introduced that support quick and easy Continuous Deployment of runbooks (i.e. I check them into source control and they automatically get deployed to Azure Automation).

Some ideas:
    -Support Continuous Deployment to an Azure Automation account from Dropbox & Visual Studio Online (i.e. the same which are supported for Azure websites)
    -Package up a bunch of runbooks into a single deployable, portable, entity. In the SQL Server database world we have dacpacs for doing this, I'd like something analogous for Azure Automation runbooks. Lets call such a thing a "runpac" for now.
    -"runpacs" should be supported on SMA too.
    -Ability to "publish" a "runpac" into an Azure Automation account. The publish operation should be idempotent (i.e. if a runbook of the same name already exists, it gets replaced, otherwise it simply gets created). The publishing operation should report whether runbooks are created or replaced. There should be the ability to specify whether the runbooks therein are created as draft or published. etc... lots of possibilities if you were to implement this notion of "runpacs".

http://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-azure-automation/suggestions/6353126-continuous-deployment-of-runbooks 

Would really appreciate some thoughts/discussion on this.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Jamie,

Have you seen Gary's blog on continuous integration of runbooks using VSO? This may get you part of what you are looking for.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Hi Jamie,

Have you seen Gary's blog on continuous integration of runbooks using VSO? This may get you part of what you are looking for.

I'll take a good look, thanks Joe. Any thoughts on my packaging idea?
    Friday, August 29, 2014 7:04 AM
  • I think it is a good idea, but I think ARM templates is the right way to do this. Do you think it doesn't fit the scenario?

We don't support Azure Resource Manager yet, but it is an eventual goal, and at that point ARM templates would light up.

Friday, August 29, 2014 5:45 PM
  • I think it is a good idea, but I think ARM templates is the right way to do this. Do you think it doesn't fit the scenario?

We don't support Azure Resource Manager yet, but it is an eventual goal, and at that point ARM templates would light up.

Did a lot of reading about ARM on Friday evening based on your reply here Joe and I agree, that does seem like a good way to go. An approach that encompasses the whole of Azure certainly seems like a good idea.
    Monday, September 1, 2014 7:22 AM