none
Driver update from Windows update RRS feed

• Question

• I had implemented a keyboard driver , and I am trying to distribute my certification driver on Windows update, so that we can install my keyboard driver from Windows update server automatically when I plug-in my keyboard into a system first time.

I had choosed the distribution for test from SYSDEV , and my systems had used the test registry key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Test Drivers" in my registry , then I plug-in my keyboard to system , but the system still install the default(in-box) driver for my keyboard, can I know what's wrong with my dirver or instruction in this portion?

Note: I am sure that my windows update setting is correct for downloading the driver from update server , because I had tested other device , and the other device can install their driver from Windows update successfully.  

Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• what hardware ID does your keyboard report?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:12 PM
  • HID\VID_04f2&PID_3009
    Monday, November 12, 2012 5:47 AM
  • that would be a valid ID for WU to match on. what does setupapi.dev.log say?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 12, 2012 6:52 AM
  • that would be a valid ID for WU to match on. what does setupapi.dev.log say?

The log doesn't show me the abnormal information, I only saw the different install sequence between the USB\VID and HID\VID.

For example ,we look Microsoft's keyboard and mouse auto launch driver , the USB\VID node device will install the in-box driver first and then check the WU driver later , but the HID\VID device will check the WU driver first and then install the in-box driver later. Microsoft's keybaord and mouse driver will be installed on USB\VID node , not on HID\VID node. Can I know what difference it is?

Monday, November 12, 2012 9:19 AM
  • I think they are installing on the USB HW ID because they are filtering the usb hid miniport, not because it makes WU work.

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:58 PM
  • OK, understood , thanks. But how to explain the scenario about my device, if my hardware ID is valid and my driver had passed the WHQL certification and published to WU with test condition?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:12 AM
  • at this point, i would ask sysdev@microsoft.com for help

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:38 AM
  • Thanks a lot.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:26 AM
  • I'm interested in this issue. What was the solution?

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:00 PM